Type of Lens?

Forum for the discussion of lighting and camera techniques.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Type of Lens?

Post by Clarence »

Maybe somebody can help me out, because I'm kind of bewildered by this...

Is there a kind of wide-angle lens that does not have a 'curved' distortion (like a fisheye does)? Because in many films I've seen, it appears that a wide-angle lens is being used, but the distortion is more angular; almost like the picture was stretched out at the edges.

Couldn't find much information online about types of lenses.

Thanks.
Ornsack

RE: Type of Lens?

Post by Ornsack »

I think you've hit the nail on the head without realising it. A wide angle lens is different to a fish eye lens ;)

Although a wide angle lens isn't as angular as you might think, it's just a lot weaker and is barely un-noticeable (it helps if you don't have your camera at right angles with your sets etc)

So yeah, a wide angle lens is what you're after. If you're making a skate video however, go for the fish eye ;)
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Every wide angle lens has distortion on the sides, it's just not noticable to an extent. If you get a lens for a wider shot get a wide angle lens around .7x (.7 times magnified) anything with a lower number will have noticable distortion.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

There's a difference between a lens, and a lens adapter. All consumer/prosumer mini-dv (with the exception of the xl) series don't allow for lens change, and therefore all you can do is get adaptations. And the only way to make a shot wider than what it regular captures, is through the distortion and affect of curvatures.
@seanbagley
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

Well you could use a super wide angle lens get the shot then in post production in adobe premier fix the lens distortion by pinch/Bulge filter.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

redkorn wrote:Well you could use a super wide angle lens get the shot then in post production in adobe premier fix the lens distortion by pinch/Bulge filter.
Does that work well?
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

Yes, photographers do that all the time to fix lens distortion in a photo and why not video!
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Looks good when you change it up.

Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Gyro-

So, if you have a wide lens on a camera with interchangeable lenses, will you get a different effect from having a normal camera with a wide adapter?
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Obviously there's going to be a bit of a difference between the two. For example, since the xl series have interchangable lenses, there is a lot of room on the lenses to fit more width and depth in the lens without having to compensate for whatever you're adding to. As opposed to simply adding another piece of "widening" glass to a regular lens hoping it'll look like the first lens isn't there. 'Nome sayin'?
@seanbagley
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

I've always wanted to see the Cowboy Bebop movie...I've seen that scene though and it was pretty chill.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Kentertainment wrote:I've always wanted to see the Cowboy Bebop movie...I've seen that scene though and it was pretty chill.
It's great- lived up to the series. They seemed to pull so many of those kind of lens tricks in almost every scene though.