Ripping Image/Video/Audio to files?

Ripping DVD material and converting to other formats (ie VCD).

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

padawanNick

Ripping Image/Video/Audio to files?

Post by padawanNick »

I'd like to capture audio effects and maybe even some images or video for 3D model reference from DVD's.
I don't need to copy the discs outright.
Any good software out there for doing this kind of thing?

Thanks.
Have fun!
Adam

Post by Adam »

I've used BackupDVD to extract both stills, video and audio from dvd. You use it basically the same as if you were going to convert the DVD to and VCD but when you select the output type choose AVI. This enables a couple of extra things in the dialogue, notably video and audio codecs.
For extracting just the audio select 'Store to WAV', this will down mix the source to a stereo 44.1kHz WAV file.
To get at the video uncompressed select the video codec and choose the 'Full frames uncompresed' . Remember if you only want 1 frame set the 'Max frame' edit box to 1, and also remember to set the resolution to 720X576(for PAL) or 720X480(for NTSC).
To get at the file as something more useful like a JPG or GIF etc I just used Corel Photopaint but almost any picture editor will do.

Adam C
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

Have a look at VCDHelp.com

I use a program called Smartripper to extract the data from a DVD and then a program called TMPGEnc to convert to VCD. This program could also be used to extract particular scenes in a variety of formats. VCDHelp is probably the best site out there for this sort of stuff although at first it may seem a bit complicated. Hope this helps ....
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Seeing as though I don't have a DVD drive on my PC, I just plug the DVD player in to my capture equipment! There's probably a tiny little element of quality loss, but nothing horrific or noticable.
Grant

Post by Grant »

That's true, a direct line in to your capture device works wonders!
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Most people don't use analogue capture equipment these days though, that's the problem =/