New movie - Purgatory

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vampiricyouth

New movie - Purgatory

Post by vampiricyouth »

Hi,

Some of you may remember me as Vamp.

The editor assigned to this director did such a terrible job, he asked me to recut it for him, which I gladly obliged. The material was so good and so easy to work with, it's been a pleasure - albeit bittersweet - editing this.

Holly wakes without a memory in an unfamiliar place. Confronted with figures who obviously know more about the situation than she does, she tries to make sense of the world around her. A place where all is not as it seems, and is slowly falling apart. Can Holly save herself and those trying to help her before it's too late and they slip between the cracks of the in-between?

This is a first year student movie, created by a crew with no prior experience. For someone that's only had their hands on a camera for a year, some of the cinematography is brilliant.

The acting is horrid and the story is cheesy, although it does has a bit of depth depending on how you look at it. Any questions I'll try my best to answer...Keep in mind I had no part in the actual on-set production, so I can't speak totally for the director.

First and last song by Stoa...The rest of the music by me.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCMjKzRxd90
vampiricyouth

RE: New movie - Purgatory

Post by vampiricyouth »

Anyone?
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Um.... ok. I didnt exactly understand what was going on there. Half of it was really slow and boring. The other half didnt make sence. The actors could have done a better job of explaining the story.
The cinematography was excellent, but you had few angles.
And also, the sound was very up and down.
The story was well done, but you didnt seem to get the mentallity out. I mean, you had the switching around and stuff, but that doesnt show that the character is either scared or confused. Also, the ending was really random, like why is she back in the park?
Hide or fight for your life?
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

This was well shot, well acted and well put together. I really liked it, very dark and only became clear at the end. With your name I thought she was a Vampire!

The Good:

Cinematography was excellent.
The Acting was mainly good, even the old English kind of dad was good. 'Have some tea dear, everything will be fine.'
Good editing.
Very good locations.
Very good props.

The Bad:

I did not like the gliches - 02:10 - I know you were trying to give clues that this reality was not real, but I don't think it works.
The camera was wobbly when she picks up the ring, and didn't look right – 5:36.
With the ring, I take it she picks that up during the robbery. You don't see it and it is not clear. You need a close-up in there.
I think you need more incidental music in the film, there are too many spaces with silence. It seems odd. Music helps to add feeling as well. You need a piece in the background for the fake reality shots.
The acting was not the best in the assassination scene. The main girl was fine; I just thought the family died odd. It looked staged.

Overall a very good effort. It is a nice dark film, that is complex with a nice revealer at the end. There are certain things that could have helped it more, but what you have there is good. I give it 8 out of 10. Keep up the good work.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
www.orkneymoviegroup.co.uk
vampiricyouth

Post by vampiricyouth »

Thanks man,

Problem with music is there that I NEED legal rights to use anything copyrighted...All the low ambience, plus the orchestral score at the end, I did myself. The song in the beginning is by a Darkwave band called Stoa and I still need their permission to use it.

The glitches were pretty necassary seeing as that actress walked so slowly and they didn't shoot any cutaways

The camera is a bit wobbly and the lighting is weird in places, but I guess that can only improve with more experience. The DoP has had about 7 months experience, ie had never picked up a camera before this year.

Acting was pretty cr**, all the way I think...But if you liked it, great :P

And I wish they'd shot close ups of the ring :( But it's good that you did realize what it was, even I didn't till I went over the script again :P

Rhys, when you're older you'll understand...The whole thematic purpose of the movie is revelation and rebirth. Who said the first and final scenes was in a park?
vampiricyouth

Post by vampiricyouth »

bump :)
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Booooo - hey i did a movie called Purgatory first lol

http://www.newagefilm.co.uk/PURGATORY.wmv

So you best come up with a new name like 'Catholic Limbo' or something!
vampiricyouth

Post by vampiricyouth »

It was originally called Ghost...Speak to the director :P
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

What! lol the director can speak to my a**!
vampiricyouth

Post by vampiricyouth »

K, but what do you think of the movie?