FAST CUTTING ACTION TEST

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

minilem

FAST CUTTING ACTION TEST

Post by minilem »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXGgGGEGCE8

just a little test clip.. i was experimenting what angles to fast cut with.. critisisms? :)
CreepyClownProduction

Post by CreepyClownProduction »

pretty good, those were digital right??
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Man, that was fast cutting and full of action!
@seanbagley
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

lots of action and fast cutting! cutting and fast action
minilem

Post by minilem »

thankyou so much for the replys, yes everything is digital : blowback, muzzle flashes, bullet casing.
puje

Post by puje »

I don't think you need that many cuts. Just makes it more confusing...
Last edited by puje on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url]http://www.bigcow.dk[/url]
[img]http://www.bigcow.dk/images/boardlogo.GIF[/img]
minilem

Post by minilem »

puje wrote:I don't you need that many cuts. Just makes it more confusing...
yhup.. thats what action films do .. watch hot fuzz.. you'll understand what i mean
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

minilem wrote:yhup.. thats what action films do .. watch hot fuzz.. you'll understand what i mean
Hot Fuzz is a terrible excuse for an action film (good comedy, though). The point of good action is to keep the audience knowing what the hell is going on, or they'll lose interest. Just like a confusing story will turn people off to a movie.
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

fuzz is a p*** take, you know that right?
Zac
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Zac »

hot fuzz is awesome! agreat comedy and sums it up with a big action scene at the end. i wouldnt call it an action movie though, its more of a parody of action films.
and i completely get what you mean about the fast cuts minilem, it just has really quick cuts during and between scenes, it dosnt just dawdle on stuff and that makes it intersting the whole way through. its a good style in comedies.
I like you, when the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
minilem

Post by minilem »

Zac wrote:hot fuzz is awesome! agreat comedy and sums it up with a big action scene at the end. i wouldnt call it an action movie though, its more of a parody of action films.
and i completely get what you mean about the fast cuts minilem, it just has really quick cuts during and between scenes, it dosnt just dawdle on stuff and that makes it intersting the whole way through. its a good style in comedies.
thankyou Zac. thats what i meant. i thought hot fuzz was brilliant. but i wasnt supposed to call it an action film completely lol it is a parody.
Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Magic-Man »

maj_barnes wrote:
minilem wrote:yhup.. thats what action films do .. watch hot fuzz.. you'll understand what i mean
Hot Fuzz is a terrible excuse for an action film (good comedy, though). The point of good action is to keep the audience knowing what the hell is going on, or they'll lose interest. Just like a confusing story will turn people off to a movie.
Don't mean to hi jack the thread and talk about hot fuzz, but hot fuzz is great, in terms of action and comedy. And It doesn't have a confusing plot at all. It builds up this complex narrarive then scraps it all and changes it into something completely stupid. Thats a key part which makes the film funny.

And back to talking about cutting style. Edgar Wright has a great, fast, unique cutting style. Watch Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Spaced and Dead Right. He made Dead Right when he was a kid and you can even see his directing and cutting style forming way back then.

The fast cutting that Edgar Wright uses, compresses a lot of time into a few seconds.

for example, when officer Angel does a lot of paper work in Hot Fuzz, he uses a lot of fast cuts and video cranking. The clip lasts a few seconds, but in real time would last a few hours (him doing paper work) and in Shaun of the Dead when Shaun gets ready for work, (brushes his teeth, uses the toilet etc) in real time would last maybe 6-7 minutes, but he compresses it into a few seconds with key moments and fast cuts. I think this works a lot better than someone taking out a gun and firing, as that would take a short time to do anyway. You're just cutting fast and as some people have said, it can be confusing. A great way to use fast cutting is to compress a long period of time into a few seconds. (i am not saying you shouldn't do it the way you are, just comparing the two) Oh, and the effects look pretty good as well.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Don't mean to hi jack the thread and talk about hot fuzz, but hot fuzz is great, in terms of action and comedy. And It doesn't have a confusing plot at all.
The story wasn't confusing at all, but the ending shootout was a clusterfuck of epileptic flashes and cuts. A good example of fast cutting to keep the pace up would be NARC. The cuts are not superfluous in a way where you notice them, but enough not to let you catch your breath.
minilem

Post by minilem »

maj_barnes wrote:
Don't mean to hi jack the thread and talk about hot fuzz, but hot fuzz is great, in terms of action and comedy. And It doesn't have a confusing plot at all.
The story wasn't confusing at all, but the ending shootout was a clusterfuck of epileptic flashes and cuts. A good example of fast cutting to keep the pace up would be NARC. The cuts are not superfluous in a way where you notice them, but enough not to let you catch your breath.
well i loved the action in it.. maybe its just different opinions.. i dont know.. but it kept me smiling the whole way through.. i thought it was brilliant
santi
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by santi »

Many cuts, not many action.
Santi

"Corpse of your enemy always smells nice"

---------------------
http://sfx.com.pl/
MattexFilms

Post by MattexFilms »

Nice n' quick! The muzzle flash as awsome!
Ok, who pulled the pin on this one...

www.freewebs.com/house-wars
www.youtube.com/mattexfilms2006
Jperson
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Jperson »

I thought the cutting worked there.
[url=http://tinite.com][img]http://onstoryline.com/Atinitefilmsstrip.gif[/img][/url]
MattexFilms

Post by MattexFilms »

Wow that is fast!
Ok, who pulled the pin on this one...

www.freewebs.com/house-wars
www.youtube.com/mattexfilms2006