What's Wrong With You Trailer! (page 2)

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Hey all, here is the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXw9X-C3eMA

I don't know how many of you will find interest in this on account of it being a dark comedy/character drama that lacks guns, explosions, and guts. Anywho, tell me what you think...and for future reference, the visuals in this are not completed, it is likely that it'll have a different look to it when it's completed.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

BUMP! (Only doing this one time)

Anybody enjoy the trailer at least?
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Yes. (I know when I first saw it, it seemed a bit overboard on red).
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

I'm always happy at someone making a film without guns..

i liked the trailer... looks histerical, but i do agree with the need for the color correction you say you will ad... it will be good
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by angusware »

yaaaaaay! that was awesome, although the music transition was too quick at 44 seconds.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

I liked it, I wanna see the movie.
Hide or fight for your life?
Zac
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Zac »

I'm always happy at someone making a film without guns..
..and about self-inflicted death instead!
I like you, when the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

LMAO! True.
People are always complaining that there is too much sex and/or violence in Hollywood. Then they complain that some movies are boring... what do u want? A kids movie? There is violence/death/pain in that too!!! What can you make a movie about? Heaven? There would be no plot! Only comedy movies can get away with no violence or sex because they cover up all the boring/corny times with humor.
Hide or fight for your life?
santi
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by santi »

Why do you cut actors heads? It looks like shoot in 4:3 and cropped to 16:9 without correction composition of the frame.
Santi

"Corpse of your enemy always smells nice"

---------------------
http://sfx.com.pl/
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

I have had that comment before (in general, not on this). Sometimes I look at the shot and I say, "I like that!" and it's what I like (headroom or not) and other times I realize I don't have to play by the book. We actually shot this in letterbox and in editing I cropped out the black bars to give it the rectangular shape. I then set my timeline edit to NTSC 24p DV Widescreen which then brought it to nothing but widescreen without the bars. Finally I rendered it and it gave it a squeeze so it'd fit on YouTube. Thus giving it the appearance of 4:3. Although letterbox isn't regarded as true widescreen, I edited it in true widescreen and no footage was reduced except the black bars. Also, no color correction has been applied to this yet, I used the raw footage.

As for everyone else's comments, thanks thus far...to answer any further questions it probably won't be done and online until this winter.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Kentertainment wrote:We actually shot this in letterbox and in editing I cropped out the black bars to give it the rectangular shape. I then set my timeline edit to NTSC 24p DV Widescreen which then brought it to nothing but widescreen without the bars. Finally I rendered it and it gave it a squeeze so it'd fit on YouTube. Thus giving it the appearance of 4:3. Although letterbox isn't regarded as true widescreen, I edited it in true widescreen and no footage was reduced except the black bar.
So basically...it looks exactly the same as it did when it left the camera, right?

That was a good trailer, and the film looks pretty funny.
I think someone mentioned this earlier, but around the 44 second mark, one song cuts right into another without any kind of transition. Also, the audio levels of the song at the beginning kind of raise and lower every time nobody is talking. I found it a little annoying, but that's just me.

Again, good job. I liked it.
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

So basically...it looks exactly the same as it did when it left the camera, right?

I think he's trying to say that it was shot in 4:3, with the bars added over top in camera to give the semblance of widescreen. Then he imported the 4:3 footage, cut out the bars (which I believe were acting as a mask), then slightly enlarged the footage. Then he exported the new widescreen ratio as 4:3, making it seem slightly stretched. GAH! I understand but it is rather hard to explain.

Film is in a square, the top and bottom are cropped so it now is a rectangle. Rectangle enlarged, then it is stretched to fit 4:3. :?

Correct?...
CREATE FOR THE SAKE OF CREATING

http://www.neighborhoodstudios.com
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

The footage on Youtube is not 4:3. It's 16:9 letterboxed for a 4:3 display. My understanding is that he took the footage from the camera, which was letterboxed 16:9, and cropped the bars off. So, he now had true widescreen footage if he were to export it as 4:3 anamorphic, it would appear stretched. However, Youtube has no way to show anamorphic footage in it's native shape so it keeps it stretched. So I'm asking if you just added black bars in again and exported the footage as 4:3? In which case it would look as it did coming natively from the camera.
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

In Premiere if you just export widescreen as 4:3, it adds the bars for you. I get what you're saying.

From what I know, Youtube just upgraded to the ability to take 16:9 footage squeezed into 4:3, and to make it the correct ratio.
CREATE FOR THE SAKE OF CREATING

http://www.neighborhoodstudios.com
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Clarence is about spot on. It was filmed in 16:9 letterbox and then I set my editing timeline to 24p widescreen which then stretched the video preview out (not the video) and gave me my footage completely surrounded in black on all 4 sides. So I cropped out the upper and lower black bars and in doing so it stretched it out to fill in the black on the left and right. YouTube just re-added the bars because they can't support 16:9.

Hi-Oh!

Also, the music was intentionally set to cut off as part of the transition...it was meant to be very abrupt. I know what you mean about the music levels rising and lowering. I had it set to a reasonable volume for when dialogue wasn't occurring and I had it lower when there was dialogue so when there wasn't any it'd go back to it's original volume.

UPDATE!!!

I've been trying to take the easy way out of this by trying to avoid scoring my own music (at least for bigger parts). I was able to get free rights in showing a Rubik's Cube (because even the image is copywritten) by simply just sending a very detailed e-mail to Seven Towns LTD. (company) about why I was using it and so on. So with my confidence I've been sending e-mails to some bands that I think would provide some good music for certain parts...

I have had a response from Zero 7 and G. Love & Special Sauce about how they are willing to let me use their music for free. Although, it's not final but I still think that is pretty cool. Those are some of the bigger bands I've contacted.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

I liked it! Was kinda quirky and felt like a proper indie movie. Looking forward to seeing it!

Do you use any funky filters on your camera lens? It shoots really well in the sunlight

Nice work on getting the rights to use music!
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]