The Suicide Artist - Download Early Version - Input, ideas:)

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

The Suicide Artist - Download Early Version - Input, ideas:)

Post by Lawriejaffa »

You remember my film 'The Suicide Artist'

Well, there are 2 versions, one in b&w and one in colour - the colour one is still being worked on - and so is the custom soundtrack. The graphic titles are just temps thrown in (they will be fancy and animated - the end credits are incomplete too.)

This film features the 'kind' of soundtrack one could expect.

Now its only a wmv 256k, so you might get fed up watching it on that youtube kinda quality, but if you can bear with that then comments appreciated. I've shown it to a commissioning editor and theres a chance to get it on a minor cable channel (not a silly community channel type thing) once its tidied up a bit.

So we're about 75% there now, im sharing the early build cos i do value your ideas gents... um... so here is my 3rd year uni film lol ;)

Remember to 'save as'
www.newagefilm.co.uk/Test+TempMusic.wmv

Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: The Suicide Artist - Download Early Version - Input, ide

Post by Zacatac927 »

ok, in the process of watching it, im pausing it and writing this

The Sound needs work, alot of it is unsynced,quiet, then loud, then muffled... the unsynced audio really throws me out of the movie, the gunshot sound also is very video game-ish

but the lighting is incredible... the actors good for the movie... the CGI and cloning was also good

the black and white one is, and will be better than the color one
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: The Suicide Artist - Download Early Version - Input, ide

Post by Gyro »

Sweet, I'm excited. Downloading now, and will comment soon.
@seanbagley
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Yeah i should point out that the compression does make the sound more tinny than it should be - but i would say the weak point at the mo is sound - the syncing isn't perfect either (it just won't be sadly aieee) lol

Agreed on the b&w its my fav but jeez a b&w student film (that would be the kiss of death! but what to do? ive made an old fashion style film!!! lol so it suits b&w arghh haha

or AIeeeee
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Absolutely stunning, I quite enjoyed. The most admirable aspect I found was without a doubt the dialgue writing, and the voice over and narration. Beautiful word choice. Anything technical has already been said. Some trouble with sound and sync but aside from that technically great.

it all seemed very surreal to me, kind of like a fairy tale. It might just be because of the glowy effects, the classical music, and the fancy lyrical phrases, but I quite liked it. The style you were going for?
@seanbagley
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Yep well to be honest this production was rather a disaster to start with so in terms of style, the one here (ie fairytale like) is definatlely the style we're after. The theatrical dialogue and fancy phrasing etc, was on our first showing (with about half the film) laughed out of court by my student peers cos they thought it was supposed to be realistic (it had different music too)

So, basically the film has had a nightmare journey, im really delighted you like it but for me its weird because while i like it - i know that it will only be able at its very best to be 'alrightish' or just below average because of the problems that have probably compromised it.

Yep sound is its weakest point on dialogue, i'll put a full res version for download when its done with its new titles and soundtrack etc.

But thats good that you've got the vibe Gyro cos my big concern would be folk thinking its supposed to be realism aieeee

The actor heidi was as enigmatic in real life as she was in that film which was definately something.

Oh the script btw had 20 revisions DURING production completley changing from the original to end result - if anyones interested i can post what the original would have been (with its storyboard) just to make you guys go WTF happened haha ;)
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

To be perfectly honest, I think I liked it in color better.
@seanbagley
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Ich problem is the colour one is a bit iffy now, the grading is well a little incoherent sometimes. Like stills can look good but watching it as a whole it seems to lack any one style - (ie a big mess) which the b&w seemed to kinda resolve (like a blunt disciplinarian)

Making it B&W is something ive ended up being compelled to do rather than want to as there was some striking colour images in this! BAH

*ponders*
Um what a blooming film this has been hrmph!
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

Hi mate, here is my review:

The Good:

The script was well written.
Very good acting. This goes hand in hand with the one above, as the lines wouldn't have been half as effective if the actors weren't good enough. They really breathed life into their parts.
Beautiful Lighting. So important for mood and I think you have internal mood light down to an art.
Large variety of shots of many angles and distances that don't distract from the story.
Filming locations were well picked so that you could add nice backgrounds in.
Your CGI did what CGI should do and helped to tell the story, not take over it like some films.
Costumes were great.

The bad:
The sound, to me, was only bad when you changed shots within a scene. The live sound would just cut off between shots destroying the illusion making it seem slightly amateurish.
I thought, personally, some shots were too long. I know you were creating tension and in most cases the shots are timed perfectly, but one or two drag slightly.

Over all though this is a very good film. I mean, it is dark (like your usual stuff,) about Eastern Europe (like your usual stuff,) but well made and acted. Just a shame about the sound.
I give this 8.5 out of 10. Good stuff.

p.s. Nothing wrong with Dark films, that’s all I write. Even my so called comedies are dark. Haha.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
www.orkneymoviegroup.co.uk
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

When's the final version coming up?
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Well its mainly on the composer now, but probably about 2 - 3 weeks (i mean its up to him more or less now, we've really just got to try and tweak the sound (which is better than this compression obviously) but is still weakest part tho, annnnd new improved graphic titles and completed credits :)