Short WW2 Movie

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Short WW2 Movie

Post by maj_barnes »

Friend from Denmark was in town- so what better way to have fun than pull out all my WW2 cr** that I haven't used in two years, make a bunch of guys wear it and 10 pounds of ammo in Florida's SUMMER weather, having firecrackers exploding on/near them, and deal with me.

Originally there was script, but I didn't want to torture everyone through the heat- plus the orgy of fireworks and everything. All effects in this are practical- nothing is digital. My choice for gun sounds leaned more towards sounding raw and real, so don't expect much. At one point I had to switch to my friends camera (I forgot cameras from Europe record in PAL), so I had a time getting the framerate back together.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0SawrztWJD4"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0SawrztWJD4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

(Not sure if you'll find this as humorous as me, but the Americans were being played by a British guy and a Danish guy, while the German was played by an American :P )
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I think all your movies are great but (try not to hate me) I'm getting tired of the jumpy camera filming. I think it's like one of those slow motion shots or handheld that many movies are doing now which makes their movie look better artistically but it doesn't really show talent. Your video was great except I would just suggest to use your shaky cam in well plotted parts of a movie, although if it was a movie you did put it in a good place (action).
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

That was pretty good and the visuals looked great...you should consider maybe someday this summer just making a 10 minutes WWII short or something because you've got it all there and you've got a pretty nifty look of it going down to. My only suggestions would be to do sound design a little better, the firework sounds were very audible and it drew away from the realism. At 2:34 there is just a random person in a black t-shirt walking around. Overall good, although I've had to wear gear like that for one of Gyro's WWII films some years ago (never finished) and I about fried to death. That is just in non-humid desert heat, I can't imagine what it would be like with all that humidity.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Not much to say apart from what everyone else said! Nicely shot, if a bit cliched. and you should definitely go about doing something with a bit more substance based on what you can do in shorts like this
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

yawn....sorry to say it barnes but that was borrring

nothing new, just the suual attack on an american patrol, hated the sounds, maybe its because i'm used to hollywood, it just made it really fake- even if the sounds are real

i love shakey cam but the youtube compression made it suck

maybe you should take kennys advice and do a short!
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

i liked it... it felt like a movie, but very clausterphobic it seemed... kinda like Fantastic Four 2 (Anyone notice the had like 3 wide shots the entire movie?)

Whats you technique (Not post Production)

you filming... how do you set up shots? only Natural Lighting?

Among other questions you've answered... you using a DVX?
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Thanks.

Yea, I kept the firework sounds because they reminded me so much of the MAC10, just lower rate of fire. This came out much more shaky than I wanted it to be- we forgot the tripod: I really know that'd stabilize alot of those moving shots much more, or it was me trying to get the firecrackers going off when they get obscured or something. The guy in the background was probably lighting one of the strings and getting out of there; unfortunately we had a great grenade blast (it was a quarter stick of "dynamite"), but the video rewinded a bit when I put it in the PAL camera. Again, we just hurried to get something done before everyone had heat strokes- I might do a short later, but not anytime this summer (maybe if there was a week of showers or something). I was actually surprised how well YouTube compression handled that overly shaky cam, nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Yep, everything is natural lighting- main thing I do when I set up a shot that isn't moving is usually get as far back as possible and zoom in to try and compress the shots even more. Camera I use is a cheap Canon Optura 50
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Not bad little show at first, which probably could have been a bit more intersting. Also Barnes seems like you use the same orage grading filter on everything, you might want to try something without that, just a thought, it does make a lot of your work look the same. Did like the fireworks good to see some oldschool effects work insted of a ton of CGI bullet hits and ground flashes etc.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Yea, I've been noticing I over use that sepia filter- this was going to be really green, but I threw the sepia on and it looked ten times better.
Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Magic-Man »

Nice film. I think there was a little too much glow/diffusion and it was a little slow at the start, as someone has already said. I liked the warm tones and the credits seemed real simple and stylish. There were some nice shots thrown in there too.