'With Vengence' - Short Effects Test

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Skanza

'With Vengence' - Short Effects Test

Post by Skanza »

Decided to try my luck on blood effects without using any 'digital blood'.

There is no plot outline. I used a variation of effects, such as contrast, saturation and some colour correction. (Note the fade when he gets shot).

Hope you enjoy.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B97olFwEits"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B97olFwEits" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

If the embed doesn't work, click this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B97olFwEits
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE:

Post by smokeythebear »

nice work dude, but it lasted way too long, but still cool
www.myspace.com/kendallfx
Skanza

RE:

Post by Skanza »

Yea, I think it dragged on a bit too long, especially the 'bood' scene.
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE:

Post by youngfilmmaker »

A little too long, but sweet. What did you use btw?
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

blood affect looked nice, wheres rhys?
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Here i am!
The second song was terrible. The amount of blood was perfect, but he sat there for ages like a tool. The acting wasn't great but the killer wasn't too bad. The muzzle flashes were too thick rimmed. He should die almost instantly, or after like 2 seconds, no longer! You got a little carried away with the blood, its all over his arms, if it was just on his chest it would be fine. The cinematography is just pi**ing me off. Its way too short to be credited. The color correction was hardly noticeable (that might be a good thing or a bad thing, i haven't seen the original footage).
Hide or fight for your life?
Skanza

Post by Skanza »

Appreciate the comments!
rhys wrote: Here i am!
The second song was terrible. The amount of blood was perfect, but he sat there for ages like a tool. The acting wasn't great but the killer wasn't too bad. The muzzle flashes were too thick rimmed. He should die almost instantly, or after like 2 seconds, no longer! You got a little carried away with the blood, its all over his arms, if it was just on his chest it would be fine. The cinematography is just pi**ing me off. Its way too short to be credited. The color correction was hardly noticeable (that might be a good thing or a bad thing, i haven't seen the original footage).
Could please explain about the cinematography, and what p*** you off?
I'd like to know how to improve it.
I agree now that the blood scene is probably too long.
And the colour correction is meant to be subtle, (from the moment he gets shot it gets less saturated).

But if you could help explain about the cinematography i'd appreciate.

Thanks
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Not bad, was a bit two long, should have been shot sperted then died. Also the muzzle fash was craptastic.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Killer should have squeezed the single round off, the victim holds his neck as blood spurts, he falls to the ground, the killer walks over to the body as blood continues to spurt slower and slower. His shirt is covered in blood. You see the killer look down at the body. Blood is all over the victim. His arm finally falls away from his neck. The killer stares for a second. He brings his gun out again. You see him point it at the what-seems-to-be dead body and fires a second round as it cuts to black. You could always have the camera not leave the killers face as he fires the bullet as well.

The cinematography p*** me off because it was so shaky and half the time all you saw was the leg jumping up and down. And there was way too many cuts of the same thing.
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

heh, rhys i have to disgree with you... the second song was awesome... first it was from Black Hawk Down... (was it? yeah...)

and it fit if it was an adult and people were attached to him
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
Skanza

Post by Skanza »

Thanks for the suggestions people.

Mainly this was a test to see how the blood effect was, as i've ONLY used digital blood before this.

I will keep in mind the cinematography, and there was a huge amount of cuts, which i agree i should have left out.
MasterMike

Post by MasterMike »

Nice work. Practical effects are something I'm lacking sorely in; they invariably look better than digital (at least at this level of film-making). My first thought is always to go digital, because of the conveniece of not having to worry about a practical effect on the day. I'll definitely be looking at some stuff like this in future.
[url=http://www.secret7000.co.uk]Join The Secret 7000[/url]
Zac
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Zac »

The killer stares for a second. He brings his gun out again. You see him point it at the what-seems-to-be dead body and fires a second round as it cuts to black.
not just a little bit cliche rhys? as soon as you started explaining wat he could've done i just knew you were gonna say that.
good job, thats pretty realistic except maybe just a little bit too over the top with the blood.
i dont see how mine can be taken off cos mine is not half as realistic as this. how did you do it might i ask?
I like you, when the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
a.qotsa.fan

Post by a.qotsa.fan »

i like it not too shabby but yer maybe the dyin scene should be cut a bit , but i liked the music at the end , good atmospheric music, good 4 a gulf war film, what is it ?
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

i thought both the tracks were really good, is that first one johnny cash? but i dont think they went together well. as everyone else said the death scene was waay to long but i loved the cinematography and overall it was very good for a test the blood was very realistic and rhys if he is holding a neck wound thats spurting out blood he is going to get some on his arms isn't he!
Holdios

Post by Holdios »

Intro freaked me out a bit. I ended my movie The White Horse (do a search, it's still in a post on the forums somewhere) with "When the Man Comes Around". Since it's not that famous a song, I'm not used to hearing it in any other context.

Kudos. heh.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

not just a little bit cliche rhys?
Killers would do that any chance they get so they can make sure they don't survive). If you ever hear about any stabbings they are normally about 10-100 stab wounds. Killers are f*** up, they aren't just going to fire a single round and get over it. The anger that is in them would make them fire a heap of rounds. You can normally pass something off better with better acting. On 'All Saints' a few years ago, a guy shot himself in front of his good friend who was a woman. It was really gross because she sat there trying to talk him out of it, then when he shot himself she got his blood all over her face and she just stood there in catatonia and cried.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

As f*** up as you? Seriously dude, what you're describing is the perpetrator of a crime of passion, or a mass murdering psychopath.

The fake blood is good, but I've always been in the school of thinking that anything extra is just gratuitous. You should've downplayed the gun firing as well. Personally, I wouldn't have shown much (if any) of the killer's face, and the shaky camera would have worked better had you not used automatic exposure. A simple close up of the gun being raised, wide shot of the two, profile shot of the blood being set off (gunshot added - will look more believable than fake flashes,) and end with another wide shot of the dead body and the killer walking away.
Knightly

Post by Knightly »

as just an effects test (AHEM!)...I thought it was pretty good, spurting was a bit strong...we had problems with that in "Death Bed" with an improvised delivery system when our main delivery system failed on set. Editing and story tellin in that were irrelevant if it was just an effects test as was the acting. The cinematography was a bit wobbly...since the camera is light, handheld shots with it will never look like handheld shots with a big panavision 35mm camera...the solution? add weight to the camera/camera hand. I liked the focus on just watching with the killer as the guy bled out...really implies that the guy is beyond a psycho...like the true portent of the song implies.
Skanza

Post by Skanza »

thanks for the suggestions guys.

as long as the effect was good thats what i want to know.

thanks again