FALLS THE SHADOW: New Film is up.

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Holdios

FALLS THE SHADOW: New Film is up.

Post by Holdios »

This was shown to a premiere of about 150 people that turned out from my home town, and was very well received. So, without further ado, I present "Falls the Shadow" a film about two very different men whose worlds clash and shape each others', one a nihilistic sociopath (a serial killer), the other a crusading zealot (a cop that relentlessly pursues him, in the process falling pretty far himself). It runs about 43 minutes without credits, but I'd like to think it's worth it.
ALL kinds of comments much appreciated it.

Here's the trailer:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7746680154

And the movie:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0182621060
UnkindSky

RE: FALLS THE SHADOW: New Film is up.

Post by UnkindSky »

Niiiiicccceeeee!! Really great acting (except in a few instances) and the music really went well witht he mood. There were a couple instances were the audio did some weird stuff, but that's all I can say that was bad lol. Good story, good effects, great settings and great actors. Keep makin movies!!
Let god have mercy on my enemies... for i will not...
Holdios

Post by Holdios »

Has nobody else watched this yet?
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

dude check your movie download/stream says theres no file/video
Holdios

Post by Holdios »

Works fine for me. Is anyone else not seeing this?
UnkindSky

Post by UnkindSky »

works for me too.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Hey, that was good! The acting was really great.

Here's my criticism: It was too shakey. I don't know if you were going for that. Also, it sounds like you could hear the tripod or the mic or something when the camera moved. I would vary your shots a little bit more, especially in the dialouge scenes. Maybe some extreme closeups.

Also- it looked like you crossed the 180 degree line a couple times...kind of throws the viewer off.

Remember...this is just my opinion.

Great job overall,
Clarence
Holdios

Post by Holdios »

Well, here's the thing. I was in fact going for shakey. However, I discovered too late into production that to pull that effect off well, you really need a nicer camera with image stabilization.
It's a rock and a hard place for really really cheapo (we're talking hundred bucks or so) film makers to choose between two evils: A steady, but dull tripod movie, or a movie with tons more energy, but tends to get shaky from all the movement. I chose the latter, and I'd stick by that choice again I think, but I really would like a camera with image stabilization so I can move around and get that energy, but keep it relatively steady.

Not sure what noise you're talking about. All the audio was captured through a boom mic, so it wouldn't have picked up any camera movement.

I tend to forget about the 180 rule. Heh, but you're right.

Thanks for the comments.
UnkindSky

Post by UnkindSky »

Ahhh, it's good to know I'm not the only one out there with a 2 dollar budget lol. Yea, I just use a Sony Handycam....until I can get a nicer Cannon, Hitachi, etc. camera...I'm stuck with this one...anywho, It was great. I really enjoyed it. What editing program do you use?
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Holdios,

I think it was around minute mark 4:30 where it started, when the mother is being interviewed about the death. It sounded almost like the noise you get when you don't have a windscreen on your mic, but the shot was inside...so...

Also, forgot to mention in my last post: I really liked the intro credits! And the music was good too.
Holdios

Post by Holdios »

Ah, yes, that noise. Of the five boom men at my disposal, one of them is less experienced, and that was his first day. So, there's a couple audio bloops.
The rest of the time that happens is when it was in fact very windy outside.

I just use Adobe Premiere Pro 2, but for the opening credits I used After effects/photoshop. Converted screenshots from the movie to black and white, used the cutout filter in photoshop, just used a brush frame by frame in after effects, and put dissolves between them back in premiere.
UnkindSky

Post by UnkindSky »

Sweet
F.F.F.

Post by F.F.F. »

Looks geat. The music is phonominal. I lolved the actor's fake mustache, It made it a true cop movie.
Holdios

Post by Holdios »

Last time I bump this up. Promise.

Only thing is that there's a few more prominent forum members that haven't popped in whom I'd appreciate criticism from. Hmm, anyone out there? :D
UnkindSky

Post by UnkindSky »

I think Foxwood would love to comment :-) lol
tecmeister

Post by tecmeister »

Just asking coz i am new to all this. Is there any way at all you can kind of make it look like the big movies with editing software, or do you have a video camera that is using film.
The movie is alright, but it doesn't have that like movie resolution. But as i say im new to this and i would like any advice that anyone will be able to give me.

Sorry if these question might so dumb.
UnkindSky

Post by UnkindSky »

The "Movie feel" comes from the film...but with a good editing program you can make it look similar.
tecmeister

Post by tecmeister »

What do you mean by Movie feel?

Also what edit/special effects software do you use?

I've just got:
sony vegas 7
after Affects

As i'm new i have know idea on how to use them, but i will get the hang of it.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

I think he mean's trying to get your video to look like it was shot on film.

This usually involves color grading (making your picture looking less harsh, and more film like, by adjusting the color balance) and lowering the frame rate (video is shot at 30 interlaced frames per second, while film is shot at 24 full frames per second).

You can do both of these things with the software you already have.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Alright, I've watched up to 23 minutes so far but I'm off to do some stuff soon so I'll have to get back to the rest of it later.

Here are just a few things I've noticed than can be improved on in the future:

It'd been a lot more manageable if you picked a location for the murder sequence w/o buzz noises and had a little bit of better lighting

I see you managed to get a select few of extras for the restaurant sequence this time.

Cuts would be a lot more effective rather then panning back and forth during dialogue sequences...it just seemed a little rushed

Boom mic is visible at a few points (4:30 & near 13:30)

transition at 18:14 seemed a little out of place with the rest of the films style.

Watch continuity, cutting from a wide angle to a close-up, chiefs office computer screensaver.
Holdios

Post by Holdios »

Out of curiosity, Kent did you ever finish it?