A Quirk of Fate (OMG)

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

A Quirk of Fate (OMG)

Post by Matt »

Darkelastic from the Orkney Movie Group kindly sent me a DVD with two of their latest films on. I eventually watched them last week and this is what I thought ...

A Quirk of Fate
http://www.orkneymoviegroup.co.uk/project_qof.html

As with all OMG productions this film has a good balance of plot and character development. For an amateur film the acting is of a very high standard. There are a variety of locations with good attention to detail. Special effects are well, but not over, used.

There aren't really any areas I could criticise.

Darkelastic, you really need to get your films online. I think plenty of people would want to watch them. They deserve a wider audience :-)
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: A Quirk of Fate (OMG)

Post by DarkElastic »

Thanks for the review mate. Yes, we need to get them online I agree. We have just put them both to Propeller TV (propellertv.co.uk) for airing on SKY TV channel 195. I will discuss in the next couple of days about getting them up online. I will let you all know when we get them online and also when they will be aired in TV.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
www.orkneymoviegroup.co.uk
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

Great News!!!

Quirk of Fate is now online.

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW AND THE FILM IS HIDDEN ON THE MOVIE POSTER

Clue - Remember them.

http://www.orkneymoviegroup.co.uk/project_qof.html

Please watch and review.

Thanks
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

Come on people. Not one of you has bothered to watch and review this film yet!!!!

We're meant to be a community on this site who strive to help one another, and receive help in return!!!
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

**BUMP**

Considering I watch and review other's films please review mine.

Thank you.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
NGFilms03

Post by NGFilms03 »

Like I said, I was really impressed by this film the first time I watched it but never really got round to reviewing it.
So let's see...

First off, it has a great plot and a clever twist. I loved how everything linked up in the end. Great use of dramatic irony and good tension building towards the climax. I was nervous waiting for the loan shark to find out Sully had 'killed' his sister in law as I knew it was inevitable.
The shots were generally considered and well-placed, which makes the whole thing appear quite professional. The editing is good as well and the music is great; really suits the mood of the film. It is original, I take it? Great performances from all (even the baby :)), some nice dialogue (very naturalistic), a good range of locations - it's great that not all the action is set in/around one place. The blood looked really cool too - what'd you use?

However, I disliked the sound effect of the phone ringing, which sounded a bit fake and not really like a real ringtone. Also, I think the scene in which Emma's lover strangles her could have been a bit better - it was shot and cut a bit clumsily, I'm sorry to say. But it didn't really detract from the film as a whole, as by the end I'd forgotten this and was really enjoying it again.

Hope I've been some help, DarkElastic, and I look forward to seeing more of your work. Did you direct the film? And how old are you, may I ask?
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

I'm 25, and the baby is my daughter. We have four films on here in total:

Trepidation
Out of this World
Quirk of Fate
A Scream in the Night.

The phone ringing was actually taken off of a mobile phone. Oh well. Yes I wrote and Directed this film.

With amateur actors starring in our films I like to write in an open way that allows the actors to phrase it comfortably in there own vocabulary. As long as what needs to be said is said.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know propeller will be broadcasting our film on SKY
channel 195 as part of the next 5 week schedule.

Our film will be transmitted on Saturday 23rd June at 22:01 (Premiere Night)

I hope you can watch. Thanks.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Now this is a difficult one.

First of all it is by far one of the most ambitous and mature drama's attempted especially on these forums. I mean you have to give this film credit - how many of you guys have attempted marital fidelity - murder - grief - drug addiction - guilt and revenge all in one short film.

It is particularly ambitious for my friend Marshall who of course not only directed this film but wrote it too!

I desperately want to like this film for thsoe exact reasons but there are some crippling flaws in the way the cinematography shows us some characters, the acting and to a lesser extent the way we are told this effectively written story.

If we start with the music, the music is rather primitive (midi) based sound that does not lend us a strong impression I think of what is to come.

The acting of the drug addicted debter is satisfactory, he makes us relatively interested in his story (despite his overly delightful abode - he has a posh toilet for sure) Be assured audiences are incredibly picky for such details.

The attractive women (they are all delightful and yummy) take us to the next scenes. The blonde mother, rushes by her lines and while im sure she's trying her best - comes across a little unclear. The other girl does fine (in their scene together.) The shots also do not give much dramatic impetuous or introduction to her character. It's like she comes on mumbles quickly in profile and Whoosh she's gone!

The earnest chap playing her husband (and the delightful albeit redhaired baby!!! - she didn't have an affair with the flame headed milkman too did she ;) is a little weak, again rushing and mumbling lines (though he does much better with his earnest performance at the graveside.)

The scene with William Shatner (the blonde ladies lover) is one of the film's lowest points. The lover is far far FAR FAR too relaxed, and manages to gibbly say quite calmly 'i love you... i love you... i love you...) while murdering her (which is quite awkward and weakly choreographed.) It is a wonder that he manages to kill her at all!

The introduction of that character and their relationship is also quite an interesting potential tenet in the narrative - but it come's and goes (our main character it seems was that drug addicted guy from the start... but how interested are we in him!?)

The performance of the blonde girl's brother - the gangster, is competent enough, but his existence seems a little out of keeping with the film's environment of office workers and suburbia. In other words its not the mean streets of East End london - and while not explicity set in the Orkney's the narrative fails to develop a sense of time and place legitimate for this character to be banging on the door, demanding moeny armed with a gun!

The revelation scene where he finds his sisters picture and shoots the drug addict is fairly predictable - albeit we have dread building - it does seem fairly inevitable.

Again the cinematography bears the trademark of television mostly and for a low budget film this is not entirely what you want. Especially as there is ample opportunity to enhance the drama with some more creative cinematography. That said what we have is competent however! Again in that 4:3 ratio - it is a dead screen ratio!

So the bads are -

Narrative with missed opportunity
Poor Music
Very mixed performances
Predictable Ending
Sometimes unrealistic to the setting
Unoriginal Cinematography

The Goods are -

More ambitious than 99% of microbudget drama's
Competent Cinematography.