A Scream In The Night (OMG)

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

A Scream In The Night (OMG)

Post by Matt »

Darkelastic from the Orkney Movie Group kindly sent me a DVD with two of their latest films on. I eventually watched them last week and this is what I thought ...

A Scream In The Night
http://www.orkneymoviegroup.co.uk/proje ... night.html

This film is set in a hotel where a guest is woken in the night by a terrifying scream. The guest investigates and makes a disturbing discovery.

I really liked this film. It takes a concept and presents it to the audience without attempting to insert too many effects or props. When I make films I always end up trying to make them too complicated. The film is well shot with careful consideration to camera angles and atmosphere. I liked the use of coloured lights in the hotel to make the atmosphere slightly less ordinary.

There were only two points where I thought I would have done things differently.

Possible spoilers. highlight text below to reveal :
The first was the point at which the axe is used. I think the sound fx needed to be a bit more brutal. The second point was right at the end where it was obvious the actors were still alive. There are a few blinks and bits of movement that take something away from the scene.

Overall a good short film and well worth the time viewing.
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: A Scream In The Night (OMG)

Post by DarkElastic »

Thank you for your review mate. I will send you a PM to answer one of the criticisms, so as not to spoil for others.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
www.orkneymoviegroup.co.uk
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

The trailer for this film is now online:

O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

Here is the film. I used Vimeo (as recommended by Kentertainment).

CLICK ON THE SCREAM IN THE TITLE OF THE POSTER

Please enjoy and leave feedback.

Thank you.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

Will somebody please watch and review????
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
Nba185

Post by Nba185 »

lol. you posted 4 times. I'm watching it now.
Its some kind of a horror show?? lol.. i don't watch horror.
myspace.com/minshproductions
myspace.com/minsh_com

Selling adobe softwares. PM for more info.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Im reviewing it at the mo lol (well im watching it at the mo)

Let me suggest darkelastic that u also post this in www.filmlive.org this is a forum for indy scottish filmmakers (also recommended for all too tho!) - obviously matts is the best tho ;)
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

**BUMP**

Considering I watch and review other's films please review mine.

Thank you.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

Hey DE - here's my two cents worth:

The Pros:

Good use of camera anglework. Particularly liked the lighting effects in the hotel hallways - were they already in place or did you add them in for effect?

The generic elevator music at the beginning was well done - loved the actual elevator in the hotel; sometimes you cant beat an old fashioned lift, huh?

The tension leading up to the businessman entering the room was well paced. I liked the curtain bit and liked the ending. Thought the music with the old school recorder was exceptionally good - when the businessman took the needle of the disc the music stopped - I liked that, very subtle but very cool.

CONS: (SPOILER ALERT!!!!)

The scream didn't really do it for me. Especially when the businessman walks through the door and he hears it again - it seems like someone shouted bang off camera and then the scream was put in afterwards. I didn't believe the reaction.

The murderer looked like the bagman from Resident Evil 4. If this was the effect you were going for, I think he should have looked more shabbby and had more blood covering him. I was hoping for a real wet 'thud' as the axe hit, but it wasn't there.

Overall, a good film. Have you entered this into any competitions or short film festivals? I think It would do rather well.
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know propeller will be broadcasting our film on SKY channel 195 as part of the next 5 week schedule.

Our film will be transmitted on Saturday 23rd at 22:15 (Premiere Night)

I hope you can watch. Thanks.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

I quite enjoyed this film and it certainly was a mixed hyrbid of genres - though it managed to chart the water between these fairly effectively.

I watched this film with the colleagues in my company - Gavin (our graphic designer and DoP - Gyro you'd like him!) and Barry a crazy a** Goth Punk whose into crazy a** cinematography and is an excellent Grip! So not only do you get my feedback (somewhat belated after my March claim to be ust about ready to review the film - but you'll get my summary of theres too!

The Good -

The cinematography of the film was competently compositioned - most films on matts are not! It did the job very well - and showed a clear line of coninuity. Now in some contexts such continuity might not be desired - but in this it added a sense of realism - which the ironic music and surreal lighting pattern both challenged and enhanced. In a way one is reminded slightly of the lighting Dario Argento employs in Suspiria (an excellent and recommended horror film.) The acting for the business man is fairly competent - slightly hammy - but there is a sense of this in the film that seems intentional anyway - this is no serious dark pyschological drama here!

(SPOILERS)
The suspense and the revelation of the sound recording are quite amusing and the twise works effectively - as does the morbidly humerous ending where we see just how many victims the murderer has amassed. The film held the attention of my colleagues - though criticism came from a variety of mixed directions.

The Bad

Cinematography - Shot composition is competent - and lighting adds a flourish of surrealism and horror which works quite well. However, the problem here is that the composition while competent is so more for television than film. One is lent an impression by the number of close ups, and the maintenance of the 4:3 aspect ratio that this is somewhat retro in its approach. The lack of grading (almost a must now for most fictional video) would have enhanced the film's visual qualities dramatically. Point being that this could have been filmed from the early 90s and nobody would bat an eyelid. I think there is room to develop a 'cinematic' form of composition - to relax back from your subjects, and create a feeling of more space as it does seem akin to a soap opera (again the composition).

Sound - Sound did not seem an issue but the 'scream' could have been more natural (as it seems a tad fake albeit its a real scream obviously) - a bit like guess the track on the FX cd etc.

So all in all an amusing and effective horror - comedy (again some bodies did not look dead at the end but who cares they mostly do!). A good film and its my favourite of what you've done so far!

So room for improvement is to 'develop a distinct cinematic visual style' as opposed to the safety conferred by traditional television composition :)