Scene From Film

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TheMalteseJob

Scene From Film

Post by TheMalteseJob »

Hey. This is a scene from this "film" I'm making. (Though it's more of a learning experience as we go along than a proper film).

If you want to pass comment on the acting do so, but I am involved with the filming and editing. All shots are handheld and filmed with digital camera... and obviously its lost a lot of quality because I had to upload it as mpeg.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9741&hl=en

One last thing, there's another short piece after this, a phonecall, but it's not uploaded with this scene. Also that is NOT the soundeffect I'm going to really use for the mobile phone ringing!
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Scene From Film

Post by rhys »

Sydney? Spy? Alias? Sounds like a bit of a take off.
In the eyes of a film maker its good, in the eyes of an audience, its boring, very boring.
The sound of the phone going off was really fake, hallerious.
No offence, but for a little part in there it seemed like it was a homosexual romance.
Heres what i see of it:
"Do u want to do it sitting or standing?" "Standing" Frikin funny.
Any way, i think you should just make it more exciting and interesting. You dont need to go for that long to get that he like sydney, shorten it down.
Hide or fight for your life?
TheMalteseJob

Post by TheMalteseJob »

:lol:
Thanks for taking the time to go through it. I agree with many things you said, but let me try defend it a little :wink: .

A lot of the context of the scene is completely lost as in actual fact this plays over 20 minutes into the film, after quite a bit of action, though you're correct - it is definitely longwinded.

The "would you like to sit" line was actually added there and then lol. See, the location we filmed at is an unbelievably busy place, one of the main tourist locations in Malta, and we kept having to escape the crowds! In fact, they stop and start again quite often throughout the scene (in real life we'd think we found a good quiet spot, enter twenty minutes later the throngs) :P

It's true, the story is one of those 'action thriller' cheesy kinds, with some twists thrown in. This is the first project we've ever done, and you know how it is... wanting to try do some "cool" action film. Thankfully we have outgrown this phase and this project is almost over (I'd stop it now I mean, but I don't like leaving things unfinished).

Next project is a short which I've been writing and am planning to do in summer (with people acting characters the same as their real ages etc and composing our own music etc). And definitely not an action thriller!

In case you're interested I've got a couple more scenes uploaded... again, don't try to understand what's going on, these come towards the end of the film. If you wish, critique me on the filming, pacing and editing.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8503&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3284&hl=en
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

They were pretty good, not exactly suspenceful enough, but still pretty good. I find it strange that you decided to completely remake the first season of alias. But still, its alright.
There is no action yet! Too bad. Some of the shots were really good, but then u had other plain and boring ones that made it look amature. Also, the characters should be more evil, like in actual alias.
TheMalteseJob

Post by TheMalteseJob »

Thanks for taking the time again.

I've never seen Alias in my life. The only TV show I watch is 24 (hence the double windows). But even those last 2 scenes I posted were filmed before I had ever seen 24, in 05. I just added the double windows effect while editing later on.

You're right about quality of scenes being inconsistent. There isn't one scene in the entire film that I am fully pleased with. Especially now that I've started experimenting with lighting etc. All my friends are dying to see the film but I just want to hide it away until I've made the summer short :p

Do you mind pointing out some moments that looked particularily amateurish to you?

PS: I havn't got any of the action scenes uploaded yet

I just remembered I have this uploaded too on youtube. It isn't an action scene either though and youtube stretched the picture into a square.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e68RvNE0kuU
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

I still find it unbelievable that you seem to have that many things that relate to Alias.
TheMalteseJob

Post by TheMalteseJob »

But it's true. How is it similarto Alias anyway? I just looked it up on IMDB and found out the leading lady is called Sydney too. The plot of this film is basically a group of thieves plotting to steal a valuable painting from a crime lord, on the day he is going to auction it. Jake (the dark guy) is recruited a few days before the operation because Roger, the man who was going to do his job (Removing the painting, handling it, etc) was found to be dirty. Sydney, who is leading the operation with that other guy in the scene, Sean, hires Jake. The twist is that Sydney is working with the right hand man of the crime boss. That's it in a nutshell, though it's slightly more detailed than that :)

Anyway, it's not as though I'm going to lie about not seeing Alias, this isn't exactly a plot I'm very proud of or anything. My only influence later on was 24, and that was in filming, not in the story, which was planned well in advance. I hope I've passed that 24 'phase' too now.
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

It does somewhat seem like 24.
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
challengerbravo525

Post by challengerbravo525 »

love movies like this :)
Today's Bread TODAY
britishbulldog
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by britishbulldog »

i thought it was very good, i dont watch alias or 24 so i cant comment on that, but i thought the continuity was very good the acting was well above the average. I also thought ur locations were great, probably not the sort of thing id enjoy although my attention span is longer than rhys's so i didnt find it that boring. I'm sure the finished piece will be great after watching all your clips
TheMalteseJob

Post by TheMalteseJob »

Thanks... We'll be filming another talking scene on Thursday... going to experiment with lighting this time, will be our first time... Will upload the scene and post it here after I've edited it (if it comes good :wink: ).

Out of interest, in the scene where the girl is running through the cellars, did you get the feeling that there were 2 people behind her? Because in fact there are 2 people, and the person with the blonde is revealed in the next scene, one of the big twists. I wanted people to realise there were 2 people, but I didn't want the second person to be seen at all... that was filmed a year ago so hopefully I've improved since then but it'll still be interesting to see if people 'Got it' so to say...

Also, in the scene I posted on youtube where the girl hugs the guy and glances at the guy at the door, what feeling did you get about the characters? I know it's quite a shot in the dark seeing as you're seeing these seperate scenes without knowing any of the plot, but it'l be interresting to see what you guys made of it.
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by angusware »

thats was good. I liked it, the talking was boring, but the camera work was good. That shot looking sideways at the guy with the curly hair wasn't working for me,
perhaps it would be better a bit further away, give the audience some space?
TheMalteseJob

Post by TheMalteseJob »

hey

here's a bit of the film.... 5 mins... it comes 25 mins into the film so i don't expect anyone to understand what's going on! btw, it's NOT an action scene :P don't have any of them uploaded

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9798&hl=en

Still have to upload the scene I filmed on thursday. Thank god we just have 3 scenes left of the film.,
TheMalteseJob

Post by TheMalteseJob »

anyone?