Pics from my new movie! (New Pics May 6th!) + video!

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nba185

Post by Nba185 »

very good. I like it. :)
myspace.com/minshproductions
myspace.com/minsh_com

Selling adobe softwares. PM for more info.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Aside from the guy in the white suit, your actors look seemingly out of place.

What'd you shoot this on? Or your DP?
@seanbagley
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

lol not everyone can get a cast of utah bred adolescents! So i just had to make do with what i had Gyro... muhahahahha

No seriously tho, ur actually um, wrong they do look 'in place' at least if im going by the reaction of fellow associates etc - who well, didnt stop to scratch there heads and go 'wow man those dudes look totally outta place' so ill quite confidently disagree with u on that one.

I, a colleague called james, and even my sister (a photographer) had goes at DP but a lot of this film is graded by me and shot it on the HVX in standard def ;)

Heres an extra pic - ill be adding more life to these backgrounds, and just to add that the whole film isnt like these effect shots (most is like the earlier ones) but pics im posting and will be posting for the next week will be comprising of effects shots ;)

Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

I'm afraid you've failed to realize that film's conceptions are completely subjective. So, again, they look out of place, sorry. If by "associates" you mean casting crew, or costume/art department, their job is absolutely to stop, scratch their heads and recognize any problematics with props, set dress, costumes, characters, age, appearance etc. If, of course they hadn't done it prior to shooting. (Which, hopefully they had). Now, I recognize that there's nothing you can do about it now, seeing as you're in post, or nearly in post. But, you need to realize that filmmaking is one of those things that every single place has to fit perfectly into it's spot, otherwise it won't work. Like you said in a previous thread, you can have a fancy camera, but if you don't work at every other element of filmmaking, it'll end up horrible.

So, I'll ask... you had an HVX, but did you use every component possible to stretch the HVX's capability to it's highest potential? Use the P2 cards for the highest quality definition? (Because everyone knows shooting DV tape on an HVX is a waste of the extra two thousand dollars you paid for the "H" instead of the "D" before the "VX".) An M2 35mm adapter box for smaller depth, a better look, and an overall more film like appearance? Did you use a DP? An AC? A 1AD? What sort of presets were used on the HVX? Did you set things for how you'd like it on the shoot, perhaps in the the settings menu? Or just simply agree amongst your colleagues that it can all be "fixed in post"?

I'm just asking... so, don't tell me I'm not good at criticism.
@seanbagley
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

OH YAWN Gyro - Look, im not sorry that I don’t take you seriously, because you only tend to appear on my threads after you’ve decided to be offended by something I’ve said on someone else’s... which has again occurred here.

Truth is laddie, your just trying to be a provocative punk - your response here is FULL of venom lol so you'll excuse me if i just p*** all over your words and say – cya! Oh and don't let the door hit your a** on the way out. ;) lol
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Haha, that's a funny response, I'll just take it as: "I'm not entirely sure what the functions on an HVX are, I sure as heck don't know what a P2 card is, and I've never considered letting anyone else touch my camera, especially a DP... truth be told, I don't even know what DP stands for."
@seanbagley
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

OH so that is why your moaning... cos your jealous of my camera!?! Er how old are you!? Well I hate to break your heart, but we now have two HVX's that we 'dont know' how to use.

Now your just a grumpy teenager who thinks he's all that - and thats fine, you might impress your 14 year old friends, but well, your just a nuisance to me, u know... like an insect.

So when you figure out how to use the canon xl u borrow from your school or whatever - (or the canon optura u probably own) ill be delighted for you.

Now since we both know you don't want to spoil my thread with your mud flinging why don't you just toddle off home, 'cos like i say,

don't let the door hit ur a** on the way out.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Again, you're the one who's getting off his rocker, I'm simply asking what sort of settings you used on the HVX.
@seanbagley
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

No your not, your an impertinent scumbag who can kiss my a** ;) now beat it :)
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

So, if you're not willing to discuss your film, why did you post screenshots from it in the first place?
@seanbagley
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

Dude, I don't mean to get into this, but from the looks of this post, gyro asked what camera you used, and you went crazy on him.
I don't know if gyro's commented on you on other threads, but I ask of you to keep these comments about gyro on your guys' PM.
We all want to know more of your film, not of your disagreement. Please continue posting updates.

Thanks.
CREATE FOR THE SAKE OF CREATING

http://www.neighborhoodstudios.com
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Gyros's just an a**, and if you think im an a** for calling him one - thats fine - and he can keep to pm instead of asserting i know nothing about cameras too right lol? I just don't intend to discuss my film with him - you can read any posts he's ever put in my threads to see why i won't give him time of day.

Yeah Kene the history with Gyro is just him coming on threads to attack folk because he feels provocated from things that person says on other threads. So when i posted on Liza's thread and he responded as if i didnt care about the college tragedy in ths US - i knew he'd be appearing here soon after. And so he did... with overt (and non explained criticism.) Despite my sarcasm you can tell the chip that exists on his shoulder - he's not surprised going 'wow lawrie why u going nuts at me' he's launching right back - because he wants a fight?

Well, Kene normally id be diplomatic - however lol, i just don't have time to be. So Gyro - 'thanks' for ur criticism haha, but i dont think u have any reason to post here anymore. As for you Kene, with respect you don't know the full details.

I think we can now go back to topic ;) - In fact lets hold posts until i get some new pics up. - OH AND NO MORE ABOUT THIS ARGUMENT.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

I'd love to listen to you, but seeings as you have zero diction of what can be posted where on this form, I think I'll continue with my questions over your film.

Again, what sort of presets did you use on the HVX?

Ever consider using a mini35?

I really enjoy the color correction at the end, it gives it a sort of gloomy feel and appearance, but how does it look in motion? Because I know with the NTSC pull-down ratio on the progressive 24pfs, it can sometimes look sloppy with so much.

How long is the film?

Thanks.
@seanbagley
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Your persistant aren't you Gyro - i'll answer your questions on msn if your THAT curious at lawriejaffa@hotmail.com - but i'd rather avoid talking to you on this forum.

If that seems eccentric to anyone else - thats fine, its my prerogative ;)

Pics coming soon.
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

what sort of presets did you use on the HVX?

Ever consider using a mini35?

you film in 24p?

How long is the film?
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Righto well there are no 'presets' used as in any kind of automatic function - however (you can often get away with auto tungsten / daylight white balance settings but I wouldnt recommend it.)

I mean ugh there were so many different locations, lighting conditions etc that there is no blanket settings I can really say were used throughout the film.

I mean if your familiar with the DVX100, then you'll know there is a good variety of options that can be tweaked releating to chroma phasing, 'detail' and other functions in the scene files you can produce (including those of cinegamma.)

The scene file changed various times though (so i won't list all that) but basically just normal white balanced video (With new incamera gamma settings changed) filmed at slower shutter speeds, with the iris wide open - particularly so when getting close ups etc.

So in other words no especially aesthetic incamera settings were made - but were all done in post.

Sure we in fact have one ordered - the SgPro 35mm adapter if i recall and it will be coming in probably in a few weeks. (we'll be in 50mm+ Nikon lenses) Now its easy to get carried away with mini35 adapters BUT there just another tool - there not a must have for every type of film - and so that is why i didnt rush out my way to get it for this (the film has a lot of post work, mattes, and is surreal and stylised.) There is a narrow enough DoF in a variety of pertiennt shots for it work - so we're not talking every shot being wide.

Several films and tv pilots using the hvx do no use 35mm adatpers either - so its not an automatic thing to MUST HAVE - to the noobs yeah but like i say its just a tool suited for some not for others - in this film not.

The film is shot in 25p

The film will be approximately 22 - 25 mins!

;)

On another note -

We prefer to call DoP's 'cinematographer' in europe, and in this case the cinematography (in this case determined a lot in post) has changed from the initial colour pictures posted - into a desaturated sepia look, as the more recent pic posts show. A lot of scenes (and perhaps generally) may have a slight coloured noir character to them, particularly interior scenes.

A word of advice is to also be careful when floating around the word DoP or Cinematographer in ur own films - cos these credits (outwith big or impressive films) look pretty ridiculous - especially among student filmmakers or less. Its a very respected job (that is considered a guild craft almost.)

Under 25s calling themselves cinematographer or DoP is akin to a joke to most professionals.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

That wasn't so hard, now was it?
@seanbagley
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Gee your right Gyro - humouring a nob like you is easier than i thought!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

This thread just got more enjoyable.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Yes well i think we can just get back to talking films now, lets call a truce till i update the thread with actual film info :)
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Okay more pics at work.

Again there is a subtle comic book style which i think will really work for this film and its manner of performance. Again its more matte shots - the whole film isnt mattes or anything lol tho - promise.

kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

good ol' stalin :wink:

i was just wondering, when you do greenscreened stuff in your film, are you able to have camera movements.

that would look really nice if you had that capability

nice coloring

Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Yeah theres loads of moment in these pics believe it or not thouugh none of them are green screened (yikes) there just graphics added to choreographed movements in frames.

So theres a way even if you ain't using keys to add in graphics etc. Yes you can have camera movements with chroma but its something you have to be careful with - to be honest its easier to move the subject than the camera.

a 360' turn around an actor for example would be easier with the actor rotating on a saucer haha than for example turning the camera (that is a terrible example) never mind - yes you can, but you are limited.
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

i get what you're saying.

i'll have to keep that in mind

foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

nice shots thought the city in the back seems strange like its on a strange slant from the rest of the shot, or something not quite sure just looks a tad off
but it all is a good looking comp.