New 8-min short film "Frustration!" now online.

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

New 8-min short film "Frustration!" now online.

Post by John Groshko »

Hi guys,

Just finished this short film that I wrote, directed, and produced about a week ago and just got it on the net. It's a slapstick comedy about a guy who is late for work, and so far it's been that best film my film class has been able to put out.

Hope you all enjoy it.
Link to Frustration!
My films;

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=groshko
mickcar73
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: New 8-min short film "Frustration!" now online

Post by mickcar73 »

hey wered u get that generic family film/ jingle all the way music?
John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by John Groshko »

It's from "Liar Liar".
My films;

youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Like it alot!

Keep up the good work!
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

At first I was slightly worried that this was going to be another amateur film that has a good idea, but is not produced right and falls flat on its face. My main worries came about when your actor looked like he was laughing when he gets out of bed. But luckily there is enough here in way of gags to keep people interested and entertained. I laughed a lot at this. It was quirky, but fun.
The major plus points were; the number of actors, good sets, sound, cinematography and editing. Also props, you destroyed a computer and toaster, which are things that something’s need to be destroyed.
The minus points; Your actor was laughing in places, which the Director needed to make him do those shots again. The music wasn't yours, which I always think is a bad point. Also, the story was nothing new.

Overall, a very enjoyable film. Well worth watching. I give it 8.5 out of 10. Keep up the good work.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
www.orkneymoviegroup.co.uk
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Easily one of the best films I have seen on this forum in a long while. The story was simple and cliched a bit but it didn't effect my experience watching it. The cinematography and editing is definetly the key element of this film that brings out it's uniquness from the other films on this forum.

With cinematography you played with depth of field and chose some well shots. Speaking of which, the dolly shots were great but a little shaky at points. The one thing I had a problem with on though was the interior car shots. You had a well exposed interior but overly exposed exterior, but suffering from this problem as well, I know it's difficult. I did like the zooms though. For some reason people don't like zooms!

Editing kept the continuity running very smoothly and I give you a kudos to that. The music seemed to fit perfectly, did you edit around the song? If you didn't, that was a pretty convenient song.

The fact that you broke a computer and a toaster was amusing to me (and I don't know why) and the ending was witty and clever...it was so simple but I'd never expected it. One last thing that stuck out to me was sound effects. When destroying things (could be Google Video) the sounds seemed off and a bit unnatural, like they were recorded sound effects.

So in final, I applaud you for such a great film. Keep up the great work and keep making those films!
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

I enjoyed that! Not much more to say after Kentertainment's post! Gonna attempt my two cents though...

Definitely cliched and adding the generic Hollywood family comedy music (although I do love Liar Liar and the music!) nearly killed it (I reckon a simple pizz-string type score that starts and stops depending on the action could well make it funnier) and the actor was obviously loving every minute of it judging by how happy he often looked ;) But the twist made up for it! And the fact that you destroyed so much stuff and had him ride a bike in to the water more than made up for it ;) (I think it makes all the difference when you see actors really going for it and props being put to good use.

Filmed well too! The slapstick was executed well. Paced well too, although the bathroom scene could have done with more cuts (maybe just slightly zoomed in to the shot and back again) to allow the visual pace to catch up with the pace of the music.

But yeah, great little film and the most enjoyable thing I've seen on here for a while! For some reason the biggest laugh came when your name popped up in the credits ;) But definitely plenty of laugh out loud stuff in there.

Great stuff! Looking forward to more tight little shorts (ooh-err) like that in the future :)
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

loved it, all points already stated, so keep it up
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by John Groshko »

Thanks for the feedback guys! Keep it up.

In response to Kentertainment's comment about the sound effects: I just watched the film from beginning to end on Google Video and there does seem to be a slight 3-4 frame delay with the sound, but it doesn't really harpen the film (I could barley notice it a first). So yeah... that may explain the slight "obviousness" of the sound effects.

Other than that, I'm glad you guys really enjoyed it.
My films;

vixuxx

Re: New 8-min short film "Frustration!" now online

Post by vixuxx »

Dude, that is sooooooooo good!
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Re: New 8-min short film "Frustration!" now on

Post by angusware »

this is from ages ago. it's ok I guess, not very original though.
John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by John Groshko »

Hey man, don't be cruel!
My films;

Freddie

Post by Freddie »

damn, John! that was an amazing film! really made me laugh and looked very professional! what's your secret? hehe
did you build your own dolly btw? I really need one myself.
A thing I wonder about though.. how long time did you use shooting this? did you create a decent storyboard, where you drew all the angles etc?

~fredrik
www.Systrickz.com (stunts, tricks, martial arts, flips + little effects in some vids)
aitec

Post by aitec »

I really want to see it, but i can't see it "video is not avalible right now" :(
Darzeth

Post by Darzeth »

that was great
John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by John Groshko »

In response to Freddie,

Yeah, I did build my own dolly because the one our school had was being used on a "senior" shoot - but it wasn't as complicated to build as one might expect. I already had a heavy tripod with wheels on it, so all I had to build was the track for it out of some scrap metal.

The film was shot over a period of three days:

Day #1 - 4 hours (all the apartment stuff)
Day #2 - 7 hours (all the driving and exterior stuff)
Day #3 - 2 hours (office stuff)

I didn't create any storyboards at all for the film (mostly because there wasn't any time - since this movie was made fairly fast); but I did have a very detailed "Shot-list" that I always followed. Even the script wasn't much help "on set", since it was only 1.5 pages long and simply described what happens in each scene in sentence or so.

Glad you guys enjoyed the film,
My films;