Do any of you composers...

This forum is for discussing all aspects of film soundtracks.

Moderator: Moderator Team

KultFilmsEntertainment

Do any of you composers...

Post by KultFilmsEntertainment »

Do any of you composers out there use actual stringed instruments--not guitar, but violin, cello, etc.--in your recordings? How about brass?

It seems that everyone uses synthesizers/MIDI, but in my experience that is so limiting. For the score I'm working on I really need a driving, percussive string sound, like can be heard in parts of the Pirates of the Caribbean score. I just can't get it on MIDI and I'm wondering if it would be advisable to pursue actual violin recording.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Do any of you composers...

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Well good luck man the reason synth is used more often (perhaps with some solo instrumentation - if ur lucky) is because 1 you can't just record a pile of solow performances and add them (and expect the same timbre as an orchestral sound) and 2 cos obviously getting an orchestra is nigh on unaffordable. (Try even getting yer highschool orchestra to learn and play some composition you get etc.)

Its a tough one !
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Have you actually tried to score the film with MIDI? Or are you just guessing that it wouldn't work? Because if you have a good set of tools, it can sound very convincing.

Unless you're willing to hire an orchestra...
KultFilmsEntertainment

Post by KultFilmsEntertainment »

I have done some MIDI scoring already, some of which I am pleased with, esp. anything involving organs or more electronically oriented sounds.

But in this specific case, yes, I have tried MIDI, but I could not get the sound I wanted. Then again, my tools might not be the greatest. I guess I need to go back and do some more experimentation.

Thanks for the suggestions though.