Asking for someone to write a script for you, read this

This forum is for the discussion of scripts and storyboards. Post your hints, tips or requests here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

marktut

Asking for someone to write a script for you, read this

Post by marktut »

Write your own if you possibly can as you'll put more effort into it, unless you are paying someone to write it for you.

You know what resources you have:- eg actors (what age they are, gender), props, music abilities for soundtrack, CGI/physical effects abilities, locations you have access to.

Heres a quick story related to my writing experiences:-

Script writing is a serious hobby of mine, I am hoping to be professional fairly soon.

However, a few years ago, I wrote a dramatic scene and read it too my best mate who always gives me honest critism, cause bullsh*t doesn't help you get better at writing.

he laughed at it because the scene was supposed to be serious drama BUT ended up being so OTT it was funny.
It was just very badly written and frankly rubbish.

I have got alot better which I have managed through lots of practice.
Last edited by marktut on Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
marktut

RE: Asking for someone to write a script for you, read this

Post by marktut »

I will add this, If you really know that you can't write, then this is what I recommend.
Suppose you find a guy willing to help you, this is what he will likely need:-

How many cast members you have access to + their genders (eg male or female)
What CGI or physical effects you are capable of doing (don't BS about this, you know what you can do)
What locations you have access to, if you can do virtual locations done with a computer this is worth mentioning to.

Then give your helper an idea of what story you want to do, just some rough ideas will do fine if he is a good writer he will be able to fill in the blanks.

Don't expect someone to write you more than a short film unless you are paying them or you can produce it to a very high amateur standard.

Exceptions could be made for guys who are capable of producing high quality, amateur work.

Sorry about this double post, but no-one replied + I felt this was more helpfull.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

This is a bit confusing to be honest.

Truth is hardly any of the most succesful directors write their own material. This is simply because most directors are very visual people and are naturally working effectively as either a managerial style artistic organiser (or if you buy into the auetuer theory) then they are the 'principle' artist.

The idea of writing your own scripts and directing is really more a result of poor circumstnaces. That is ultra low budget directors (in fact mostly just those doing shorts) end up having to do stuff they write because nobody else will. Its mostly though because people don't make a significant effort to talk or network with scriptwriters (and good ones starting out just like they are as filmmakers.)

Its not necessarily a good idea for filmmakers to write their own scripts... Its like acting in your own film or editing your own film or doing everything in that - the more you do the less control you have over your own fallibilities making it into the final film.

So actually I think its better to get the best scriptwriter you can and then direct his script (instructing him of your resources etc) and bear in mind a lot of directors when they get permission will still alter scripts (for example their settings or lines etc.)

So basically, its a kind of obsessive compulsive kind of notion that some filmmakers have, that they have to be the principle leading light in every stage of the production, its just not feasible unless your shooting a very very very modest short imo.

So i'll bravely contradict u hehe, and say that dialogue with scriptwriters and directors is better, than directors trying to be great writers. hehe
marktut

Post by marktut »

I can see what you are saying lawriejaffa but I'll add this, the majority of people using this site are amateur film makers and they don't have acess to high quality script writers.

Its alot to ask someone to spend their free time writing you a good script especially when you aren't willing to pay them/or able.

You seem to be talking about professional productions where of course things are totally different.

As for writing + directing your own work, well there are some people who can do both well, its not necessarily a case of being poor/low budget.
However if you can find someone to combine with who has a similar vision then that is probably better.

My conclusion (for amateur film makers)

1) Write your own script it honestly isn't that hard to write a short film if you put in plenty of effort.

2) Find someone who likes writing so much that you don't need to pay them, good luck on that one.

OR

Just stick to doing fight scenes, shoot outs or whatever else you enjoy doing with your camera.
Most people on here are amateur and unless you have ambitions of being professional then a well written story just doesn't matter much.

HOWEVER

If you do have ambitions of being professional, then you need a well written script with age appriopriate roles eg no 14year old males playing soliders.
It needs good editing, good sound, good acting (the problem of many a amateur film) and good CGI/effects work if necessary (this is understandable though that it isn't professional level though)
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Sure marktut, I think you should check out my notorious posted essay on 'what filmmakers at matts forum suck' thread on the general filmmaking (might be page 2, 3 now.)

There are amatuer scriptwriters out there who are just like amatuer filmmakers, but whom in their selective fields are better than the other at what they do. I think it would be better for amatuer filmmakers to acutally 'network' with them, go and try to find these indivduals, even if they can't help they'll still be making more contacts.

Writing your own script is not an option, it is a circumstance that arises when nobody else will write your script, so I'm a bit bewildered at how you suggest that filmmakers should write their scripts too. (Because most of them on these forums do anyway.) They would probably benefit enormously from spreading their ideas with another scriptwriter.

Lets not confuse scriptwriters with hollywood scriptwriters too, for there are loads of scriptwriters who are just kids too, that filmmakers here can find and meet if they take the time too. They certainly don't need access to high quality script writers, just mediocre scriptwriters would still be a league above the stuff most folk write here themselves. Hence im not necessarily talking about 'professional' productions.

Finally, 'good luck on that one' - TRUST ME, its much easier for a wannabe filmmaker to blag or convince a scriptwriter (of a similar league to themselves) to help them than it is the kind of things most filmmakers have to get for free. (In the low budget film end that i work in anyway, such as a great location that must normally be paid for etc...)
marktut

Post by marktut »

I can see what you are saying lawriejaffa and yes if a person on here can find a scriptwriting partner to team up with then generally that is better as long as they both have the same vision.
I'm sure you have heard of the term "creative differences" this could happen with multiple script writers, I say could though, it may not.

I'll say again though unless a person on here has real ambitions of being professional then having a good story simply doesn't matter much. If I was going to film things just for fun i'd probably just film some fight scenes.

Also I think anyone can improve alot at writing if they put in enough practice, all good writers re-write. I was trying to point out in my first post that I started as a bad writer but have now improved alot through practice.