Websites for free scripts

This forum is for the discussion of scripts and storyboards. Post your hints, tips or requests here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

brain.nz

Websites for free scripts

Post by brain.nz »

Hey guys,
Does anyone know of a website where people submit free scripts (even just short film scripts) for other people to use? Like the sort of people who want to see their work come to life?

If anyone knows of such sites, let me know.

Cheers,
brain.nz
[img]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/brain_nz/brain-nz.gif[/img]
Nba185

RE: Websites for free scripts

Post by Nba185 »

I know sites where you can download real movies scripts.
myspace.com/minshproductions
myspace.com/minsh_com

Selling adobe softwares. PM for more info.
brain.nz

RE: Websites for free scripts

Post by brain.nz »

oh ok. i am looking for scripts that i can turn into movies. lol
[img]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/brain_nz/brain-nz.gif[/img]
bgswitzer

Post by bgswitzer »

I don't know how much help I can be of here, but I'll try my best.

As far as what you're looking for, it doesn't really exists. Oftentimes writers don't like posting their work on the internet, it opens the script up to theft and can hamper sales down the line. There are, however, production boards and such like Hollywood Lit Sales where producers can post summaries and synopsises of the projects they're looking to buy. This really isn't the best option though, as a lot of writers trolling these boards will be expecting payment up-front for story material and there isn't much guarantee at all towards the quality of the script.

What you're probably better off doing is trolling a lot of creative writing boards that have a section for scripts and screenwriting (kind of like here), go through, read some of the works in progress people are posting, see if there's anything you like or any writer you feel a compatability with. Who writes the kind of stories you're looking to produce? Who has ideas you think are cool and interesting? Etc. etc.

If you find a writer you think you might want to work with, shoot him a pm or an e-mail, something discreet, and inquire about the possibility of collaborating on a script. It's a very easy method that insures the writer you hire is a writer you know can write (it's how I got my first writing gig). It's a little hard for people to take you seriously, so just be honest, tell them you're an independent producer looking to put together a film, tell them your proposal and budget, what you have planned, all that good stuff; just try and seem legit enough to get them on board.

Usually you'll find a lot of these writers are in college or just starting out, and eager for the prospect of having their stories produced, so you should be in no shortage of demand, even with a small, hundred dollar or so licensing budget. Hope that helps you out.
JackBauerII

Post by JackBauerII »

scriptbuddy.com
If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed.

- Stanley Kubrick

www.monkeypie.net
Nba185

Post by Nba185 »

But scriptbuddy says no taking of script without permission. It's better to write a script YOURSELF.
myspace.com/minshproductions
myspace.com/minsh_com

Selling adobe softwares. PM for more info.
chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by chrisgreen »

If you really want you can search the scripts ive posted on here and i'll let you use them for free (but i'd like credit of course). If you want anything re-written then i might start requiring money, lol.

http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/forum/view ... highlight=

Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

Theres a site called http://www.writing.com where people can put stories/novels etc. up, and people read and review. It's not really a place to post scripts, but if you make an account (free I think) and find a piece of work that you like and review it, you could ask them about making it into a movie.
Don't know if that helps but a lot of the stories there are pretty good, and as long as you ask and get approval and such, it's worth a shot.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

You make an even better point without realising it perhaps Almondo.

You see there are far more people on the net publishing their stories, short stories or poetry etc than there are people writing actual scripts. I can also bet my bottom dollar that the story writers are probably better than the would be script writers.

So that is definately the best place to look i think, but bear in mind, script writers may be more open to directors making their stuff into films than someone who writes plain stories etc.
chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by chrisgreen »

Transfering "standard" prose into script format can be a difficult task thought. That was one of the hardest things i found about writing scripts. To start with i just wrote them in the script layout right from the start, but soon i found that it was restricting my creative thoughts and ideas (i know that sounds cliche, but its true). So i started to write them in pure prose first and then once i'm done and happy its worth carrying on i then transfer it to the script layout. It sounds like it takes a long time, but really it's getting the first draft out of the way quicker because you don't have to worry about layout.

But any way, going back to the point which Almondo made; buying a short story or something would probally end up being cheaper than buying it in script form. For starters you wont be buying a finished product (i.e. it wont be ready to use) and can use that to haggle with and also, people seem to value scripts higher than stories (which is probally due to the fact that Hollywood use scripts and not stories).