How does my script look?

This forum is for the discussion of scripts and storyboards. Post your hints, tips or requests here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

PapaMurf

How does my script look?

Post by PapaMurf »

Okay, this is my horror movie that I've been writing for a while. Any constructive criticism or ideas would be greatly appreciated. If you think there are any scenes that need to be cut/ changed, please tell me how I could improve. Thanks

INT. BASEMENT-EVENING
MIKE, JOE, NICK, LUKE, JASON and VERONICA are sitting in a basement entertaining themselves. MIKE and VERONICA are talking, LUKE is reading a book, and JASON and NICK are watching JOE play THE SUFFERING.
JOE
(Scared)
Oh my God! This game is so scary!!!
JASON
Well… Well, your face is scary!
JASON snickers at his dull response and everyone gives him a look.
LUKE
I tried sniffing coke once, but the ice cubes stuck in my nose. I have a mind like a steel trap; it is rusty and illegal in 47 states. Guys are like lava lamps there fun to look at just not so bright!
JOE
What are you doing?
LUKE
Reading quotes… “How to store your baby walker: First, remove baby.â€
Proud Founder of Naked Time Inc. A division of Strawberry Productions
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: How does my script look?

Post by Mr.Anderson »

First, is this a comedy/horror? or is this mainly a comedy...or mainly a horror? I need a definition of the genre, this one has me confused.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
PapaMurf

Post by PapaMurf »

I was going for a lighter horror. This is going to be our first movie so we included many humorous bits to lighten some of the horror aspects. I am going to balance the humor parts by making the horror parts as terrifying as I can. And I'm not going to take the cheap way out and just use a bunch of gore, I am going to aim above that. What did you think?
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

Well if your going to do that type of movie, then it should work. At first I thought you were trying to make a dead serious horror film and I was just kind of, "what the hell?".

But the script does have a few funny parts, and they work to lighten things up a bit. One thing on the horror aspect though...Dont worry too much about having a thick plot behind the killers. All the backstory of the urban legends, that to me thickens things uneccesarily. You don't need all that y'know? Tends to slow the pace of things. You dont need much background to intensify the action. All you need for a horror movie is good camera angles, lighting, and some music.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
PapaMurf

Post by PapaMurf »

What parts could I take out/ change that would make the movie stay understandable and with some form of backstory?
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

I think making the whole "Twilight Twins" a global epidemic was a bit too much. And I don't believe you should get so detailed with all the rituals and everything. Give the viewer an idea of what happens, you don't have to run through every detail. Like Mike looks at the computer Nick was just at. "Twilight Twins? Whats this". We then cut to Nick chanting, then Mike finds him dead. None of the email reading and all that. Sometimes, maybe its just me, I like to not know exactly why the killers/monsters are killing in movies. It allows you to imagine and create more of a backstory yourself.

-- Stanley Kubrick