Drama-ness

This forum is for the discussion of scripts and storyboards. Post your hints, tips or requests here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Drama-ness

Post by Almondo99 »

Well, for the first time I've decided to write a script :shock: And actually use it. It's going to be a drama type, but I'm still thinking of a storyline. The most emotion the actors have done in a movie is screaming when they get shot, so my question is how to make a scene emotional, and how for an actor to 'feel' how they should. Acting pdfs or the like would be helpfull.
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

Which emotion are you shooting for?
theChad

Post by theChad »

you know that scene in reservoir dogs when Mr. Orange gets is dying. that is good emotion.
{[url=http://movies.chocolate4breakfast.com]Movie For Breakfast[/url]} - Powered by Dr. Pepper and an unhealthy love of late night movie viewings
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

A very important thing most people forget about in acting, especially in movies, is too play it down. Movie acting is all about subtlety. Its about body language. Its about facial expression. Acting in a play is all about the overacting, people in the audience have to be able to see and hear you from a distance. In film however, the camera is as close and personal as you want it to be. So a character who has just had some one die in their arms, instead of shouting "Noo!" to the sky and weeping loudly, they could sit with a polarized look of shock on their face, maybe their lip is quivering, they swallow to hold back tears. Its subtle. Just enough emotion to be noticed.
Of course certain times call for louder, more violent emotion. The best thing you can do (at least what i try to do) is dont get to INTO your character. That may sound crazy but instead of thinking, "What would my character do?", instead think, "What would I do?". Every human being has the same basic emotions and will react at least fairly similarly to stressors. Of course you need to inject some of your character into it, if they act more violently then yell louder than you normally would, gesture wildly. But just most of all, remember to play it down. Look at some Oscar winning performances, you'll notice subtle and reserved they often are.

(Sorry if that ended up sounding like an essay, its late at night and im wide awake and this is how i get :) )
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

theChad wrote:you know that scene in reservoir dogs when Mr. Orange gets is dying. that is good emotion.
Yea, Reservoir Dogs had some of the best, when they first get Mr. Orange into the building and the end.

And for the acting part: punch them in the stomach and tell them they've been shot; "action!"
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

lol
Well, I just want emotion, mostly talking scenes that we shoot are...not good. They're watchable, but not great. Interesting info Anderson, I think acting like you are the character would really help. What helps/makes a good talking scene?
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

No really, I'm serious, the dialoge scenes between Mr. Orange and Mr. White are the best.
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

And for the acting part: punch them in the stomach and tell them they've been shot; "action!"
No, lol to that. Is RD directed by Quentin Tarantino?
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

of course it is.
for a good emotional scene, during rehearsels play slow sad orchestral songs, for them to get into it.
for good "dialogue" scense, just write the characters conversation out and make it natural, just keep writing with out stopping and by the end you will find that some of it was good dialogue, you can than take the parts you like and make it work well....