Writing 3-D Characters

This forum is for the discussion of scripts and storyboards. Post your hints, tips or requests here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Writing 3-D Characters

Post by maj_barnes »

No I don't mean 3D graphics or anything. A three dimensional character in a story. I've been really just writing alot of scripts and short stories lately. Anyways, I was reading the script for Smokin' Aces, and I remember seeing the comment from someone saying that the characters were all two dimensional- I had no idea what the hell they were talking about so I found some article talking about it. It's a four parter where I've only found two parts, but it's been helping me understand making characters believable and other s***... It may not help you, or it may- I don't know, thought I'd share it.

PART I
PART II
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

All along I've been using characters in a movie to express the story, maybe they're used for more of a dramatic effect or a way to understand characters more in depth.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

More or less the characters grow, and the audience can connect, etc. Read through them, it's pretty interesting.
Jperson
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Jperson »

^ Especially in something like a TV series or soap opera. People get favourites, realte to others, hate certain ones, look down on others who are bitching. That sort of thing...
[url=http://tinite.com][img]http://onstoryline.com/Atinitefilmsstrip.gif[/img][/url]
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

Often times characters can be symbols for individual emotions. If a character is having an internal conflict, the symbols used to externally show his feelings might be his father expressing anger, his mother expressing worry or guilt. Each is a external representation of a specific emotion he is feeling.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick