DVD BURNER QUESTIONS, HELP!!!!!!!

All aspects of creating media (DVD, Blu-ray, VCD or SVCD) including authoring and menu creation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

mickcar73
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

DVD BURNER QUESTIONS, HELP!!!!!!!

Post by mickcar73 »

Right, i am new to dvd burning etc and have no idea of the specifications. Im buying a dvd burner, its the sony drx-800ul external drive, it is dual layer and is RW etc. I was wondering if anyone had this, if its good or bad?

All my stuff is on wmv format so is that going to burn and if so will the quality improve on dvd rather than the small box im watching while in media player.
any feedback id really appreciate it.
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

RE: DVD BURNER QUESTIONS, HELP!!!!!!!

Post by Matt »

That burner is fine. It is dual layer and I assume it can do both DVD-R and DVD+R.

To burn DVD Videos you need to author the files in the correct format. The software you use to do this is more important than the burner. The burner only writes what you tell it to write .... so you need the software to feed it the right information.

To get WMV videos on a DVD Video you will need to convert them to DVD format.

You can *never* improve quality by converting to another format. It doesn't matter how great DVDs *can* be, if your input is rubbish the DVD will be rubbish. WMV makes small files by throwing away information. That information can never be recovered.

You can change the resolution to make it DVD size but the quality will not improve.
mickcar73
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mickcar73 »

thanks, the software that comes with it is nero vision express ( video editing and authoring software) a and ahead nero burning mastering software, have you ever heard of them?
Grant

Post by Grant »

yep you can use Nero to easily create and convert some file types into DVD format. You can even set up a basic menu structure