OMG - INTEL GOES MAC

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: OMG - INTEL GOES MAC

Post by maj_barnes »

Knightly

Post by Knightly »

and in stating so, disproves the point :)
Low/No budget cinema that looks like a million Bucks!
---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.yafiunderground.com
Knightly

Post by Knightly »

I'll also note that I don't argue pro mac any more, just anti-disinformation. All of the PC users I've know who've given the Mac a "Real" chance have been converts within a couple of weeks. All computers serve the same function, I promote the one that does it with the least effort for the user. Computers are tools, not lifestyles. They've been that way Since the 1960's and should continue to be so now. I've been using many platforms since 1978 and am familiar and comfortable with all that I've used. I keep macs at home because I don't have to fix them. I've had to fix computers for the past 10 years and I hate doing it. If I wanted to fiddle with jumpers, I'd have been a parachute instructor.
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by angusware »

you'd think if people kept going on about their computers there must be something there that they love? why else would someone cr** on about their mac?

I love my mac, and love to convert people to Mac because they love using them so much that they never go back to PC. Mac has a cult of followers because it deserves one.
tecmeister

Post by tecmeister »

Do you know what kind of computer you had in 1978?
The oldest computer that i know of was the first made personal computer by IBM in August 12th 1981 but properly came out in June 1982.
Grant

Post by Grant »

No pcs have been around since the mid 70s. From memory the Altair (something like that) was one of the first to be clasified as a 'pc'. The Apple 2 in 77 was the first major hit.
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
tecmeister

Post by tecmeister »

cool, i learn new stuff everyday. Thanks for the info.
Grant

Post by Grant »

lol no problem. That is just off my head though so don't quote me on it :)
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

One thing PC users can do that Mac users can't...

Sorry, couldn't help it.
LOL!!

It's true. At my high school, we use iMacs for my movie class, but I firmly stick to PC. Although macs are very stylish and good at what they do, they're not as well-rounded as a PC (and yes I know a mac can do anything a pc can do, but with a pc you don't have to get converters to use other programs like mac)

My $600 Pc is at least as good as the iMac.

PC -much wider range of software than for the mac.

but I'm not here to dis macs, i'm here to make movies.

..."I'm a Mac. And I'm a PC..." :x
CREATE FOR THE SAKE OF CREATING

http://www.neighborhoodstudios.com
Knightly

Post by Knightly »

I was introduced to the world of computers on a mainframe in 1976. I'm not sure what the operating system was, I know it had a Teletype (printer with a keyboard) and used punch cards for storage. In 1978, I got to play around on Apple computers as close family friends were in charge of the computer lab at the local college. '80, we got a TRS-80 Color Computer I. I learned to program more fluently on that computer using both basic and assembly.

Until that point, it was cheesy little graphics programs that didn't do anything other than translate a piece of colored graph paper to the screen. and some little calculator example programs in fortran. From there, I got experience with various Unices and VAX and OS2 and AmigaDOS and DOS and windows 1.0 - 3.1...etc. I always felt that DOS was a much more approachable operating system than windows.

The macintosh wonderfully ignored the command line underpinings making it feel like it's own entity rather than a half boiled attempt at a user interface.

I would posit that XP is the first version of windows that I would consider a real window/mouse based operating system. Vista is even better. They're still years behind the Macintosh interface in terms of usability by real humans (not geeks - of which I am decidedly one).

Having had to teach many people of a wide age range how to use the computer, I can tell you that they pick up the Macintosh more quickly than Windows. Windows is not user centric, but computer centric...and only people with a working knowledge of how computers and operating systems "really" work can truly understand how windows works. By avoiding the connection and just dealing with the human interaction with abstract data, Apple hit the sweet spot between learnability/usability that microsoft just ignored in their rush to compete.
tecmeister

Post by tecmeister »

I know of them computers in the 70's that are the size of the room and you had to punch holes in a card and put it in to the computer.
But i dont think that they where classified as personal computers.

Im a teci and i hate windows i can stand it. I have never ever used a mac so i might just use one at uni to see what they are like
Knightly

Post by Knightly »

I would advise giving it more than just a "This is different than what I'm used to" trial as well. I don't consider mainframes Personal Computers either, I was just giving my computing experience pedigree...at the time, PC's (of any flavor, including apple) didn't exist even in the corporate or government realms. PC's came out to the public in 1978 with the Apple I...before that, you still had to know how to solder to have a "Personal Computer"; the altair.

At that time, Apple had 100% market saturation as the only player in the field...the DOS World started playing catch up then...and although they have the numbers now, the technology is all taken from what apple has released in obscurity over the years. XP came out with tons of features being trumpeted as new and ground-breaking that I had been enjoying for nearly 10 years in the apple world and had gotten to the point where I was taking them for granted as part of any operating system (this is the source of the perceived mac snobbishness, BTW).

"I have such and such a sound card."
"A what? Doesn't your computer come with one"

This exchange seems daft now, but 10 years ago, the Apple had built in high quality sound on the board since '87...10 years prior and the PC world still didn't. Floppies, same thing with the iMac. I had a horrible initial reaction to losing the floppy drive on my machine until I realized I hadn't used one for nearly a year. PC users still complain about it, but don't use them that much either when questioned. Apple's heavy handedness in determining what the users want is always based firmly in reality and market research.

The biggest contributions the opposite (windows > Mac) way have caused some of the worst worms in apple history. This worm was the "Hong Kong virus" that nearly brought the publishing world to its knees in the mid 90's by overwriting image files used throughout the publishing industry and using the autostart feature added into OS 8 at the demand of the Users. Advertisers and newspapers exchanging zip and jazz disks wreaked havoc in that industry. I actually wrote an anti virus for it at one point in time that spread itself the same way, then locked the system down once it got there. I saved our newspaper using the malware's tactics. The anti virus was written in applescript which has been included for free on every mac since os7.5.

this is a fun little ramble.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

kg9491

Post by kg9491 »

Anyone who attempts to dis a Mac is nothing but naive. end of story.
Flying is simple. You just throw yourself at the ground and miss.
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

I have used a mac for a semester at school for editing and photoshop, so naive I am not.

kg9491

Post by kg9491 »

as far as I'm concerned then, you should have no problem with a Mac.
Knightly

Post by Knightly »

and KG should have no problem with PC's :)
kg9491

Post by kg9491 »

i do have a problem with PC's. PC's have their ups and downs. Macs have their ups. I like em better. They're nicer and easier to use. However, I like to use them both. PC's have more available software. That comes in handy. Macs have BETTER software. So I use them both. :)
Knightly

Post by Knightly »

so your way of thinking is the only way of thinking? I prefer my TRS-80 COCO2! you don't, so you're wrong. I like it 'cause I wrote my own DOS for it...it didn't come with one, just raw commands...quite icky, but my DOS does exactly what I wanted it to.
kg9491

Post by kg9491 »

Excuse me? I don't recall saying that my way of thinking is the only way... Why don't you point that out for me? Or if you can't, try not to put words in my mouth, hmm? Now, I gave my opinion and you gave yours, and although we disagree, this should remain a respectful conversation. Neither is better for a fact. I'm beginning to think that this friendly debate is turning into an angry arguement. So I'm going to leace this topic with one final point. After 9 years of using a PC and 6 months of using a Mac, I already like the Mac better and I reccomend it over a PC.
Knightly

Post by Knightly »

it's in the subtext:

Kene says he doesn't prefer macs...
you say that's not an ok option...that it's a naive stance (this may have been the point of confusion - depending on its target)
Tto be fair, I pointed out that you shouldn't then have a problem with PC's...
you reiterate that you do...

This exchange doesn't leave a lot of fudge room for people to disagree with you...and I agree with you.

whether or not you intended to say that your way of thinking is the only way, the text you typed said it for you. As there is no inflection on the internet, only content, interpretations are made with the information given. The information you had given up to that point makes you out as a rabid mac supporter...which tends to drive people away from the platform rather than convert them to it.

As a rabid mac user (part of Guy Kawasaki's Mac Evangelist Mailing List) through the Sculley and Amelio years, I can tell you that you will not drum up any interest in the mac platform with the "The mac is the paragon of computing" stance. We were actually referred to as "Kawasaki's Brown Shirts" (refering to hitler's youth) my the PC community at that time for our unyielding "PC's suck!" attitude that seemed almost militant...the list, BTW, went on to turn into the Mac Marine's list.

I don't think this conversation is turning angry, however, we are still discussing the whole mac vs. pc thing and haven't degenerated to the "Macs suck, PC's suck" level. This is still an intelligent conversation and it takes alot to get me angry...unless you mention the "Filmlook"...then I start to wax pathetic about the difference between film and video and how to embrace the differences...blah, blah, blah...

I'm very glad you're happy with your mac, I agree with your stance but I like to let people come to the mac in their own time...cause it will happen...<sinister>...Steve Jobs has it all planned out til 2019, the end of the world as we know it. What follows is the "Age of Enlightenment". If you need web references for all of this...I'll gladly provide them, just give me time to post my theories on my website as those are the references I'll provide.
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

All I can say is, read kg9491's signature.
:wink:

kg9491

Post by kg9491 »

hah. got that right. But uh, see this is what I hate about forums and talking online as opposed to in person or video chats. While although it is somewhat more comfortable sometimes, especially for us computer nerds, to talk online, anything can be taken the wrong way. Again, everything I said was merely my opinion and never stated that it was fact. I apologize if I accidentally offended anyone. So anyway, this is completely off topic, but does anyone know how to get out of this "Junior Member" status and get more stars below my name?
Knightly

Post by Knightly »

hehe...so back on topic...what is the actual news about intel...there's no link to any news story or press release at all.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

This thread is over a year old, so I wouldn't worry about the original post. It was plucked from the dead (like a lot of threads on this site seem to be!)
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]