Sound like a good laptop?

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

redlightoncamera

Sound like a good laptop?

Post by redlightoncamera »

I was going to get a laptop, and found what is a great deal, just not to sure whether it will handle Vegas 6.0 and down the track Vista, here are the PC's specifications..;

AMD Sempron™ 3000+, M760 North Bridge, SiS M963L South Bridge, Integrated SIS M760 (Mirage 2 core), 15.4" Widescreen (1280x800res) WXGA TFT Interface Memory512MB DDR 333 Hard DriveATAPI interface 40GB 4200RPM Optical DriveDVD RW+/- drive 8x4x2 CDRW 24x16x12 PCMCIASupport one type II Modem56Kbps V.90 internal Modem AudioInternal AC97 AC-Link pointing deviceSynaptics touch-pad with 2 buttons option I/O PortsCRT port - Analog RGB Mini D-SUB 15 pin Audio Jack - MIC in, Headphone out Jack Fax/Modem port - One RJ-11 Telephone Jack USB ports - Three 4-pin USB 2.0 Ports (USB2.0) Power port - One DC-in Jack LAN Port - One RJ-45 for Ethernet, 10/100Mbps IEEE 1394 - One 4-pin port BatteryLi-ion 6 cell battery AC 90-264 V, DC 19V, 65 watts Dimension354mm x 254mm x 33mm Weightfrom 2.865kg (6.3lbs) - May vary depending on configurations and components Kensington LockOne Kensington lock (slot only) Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition FDDNo Floppy Drive Carry bag Free AMD carry bag (fits up to 15"4 notebook) Warranty 1 Year Return to Base Warranty (excludes software)

I got this off the site so it may be a little confusing. The price is AU $999.00.

If there is someone that knows a little about the could you reply?

Thanks...
El Brenty

RE: Sound like a good laptop?

Post by El Brenty »

Sounds good, but get more memory!
Moderating behind the bushes!
redlightoncamera

I do also have a 100gb external hard-drive, so there won't be any problems with that..
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I meant RAM.

You really could benefit from at least doubling the 512MB.

The hard drive (Internal and External) is the slowest component of the computer system. By increasing the RAM, you're taking some of the strain away from the hard drives, and more cacheing can be done directly into the memory. More memory (Assuming the operating system utilises it correctly) will lead to a significant performance gain.

The Hard drive still gets used ultimately - You still need to load things into the memory and save them back to the hard drive. It really helps in the in-between work, and processing.
Moderating behind the bushes!
redlightoncamera

Currently I am on 512mb ram and it has been ok. I've had no real problems, just a few with the graphics card when playing games but this does have better graphics thing, i think it is 64mb?