HELP!!! See's DVD-R/RW Drive, but has incorrect name. HELP!!

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

HELP!!! See's DVD-R/RW Drive, but has incorrect name. HELP!!

Post by slimdog55 »

I got a new motherboard (Asus P4P800-VM) for my birthday last week. I'm having truoble with installing a DVD-R/RW drive that I had in my last system. The DVD-R/RW drive is a Pioneer DVR-AO5/DVR-105.

I have my hard drive connected as "IDE Primary Master."

I also have a DVD-ROM drive connected with the hard drive as "IDE Primary Slave." The DVD-ROM drive works. It shows the correct model # in the BIOS and in Windows XP.

OK, so I put my Pioneer DVR-AO5 connected as "IDE Secondary Master." It shows model # DFD-RG DFR-1 5. That is incorrect. It should say DVR-AO5. I have the jumper on the back of the drive set to "Master."

I put a CD in the drive and it reads it. That's it. It doesn't auto-run, I click on the E:/ drive in "My Computer," and it just opens up to a empty folder.

PLEASE!!!! ANYBODY!!!!! I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

RE: HELP!!! See

Post by Matt »

Remove the DVD-Rom so you've got just the hard drive and the DVD writer. Power up and go into the bios. Check that the bios identifies both drives. Exit and boot into windows. See if that makes any difference.

You could also try launching the device list (right click on My Computer and select properties, then Hardware, the Device Manager.) Find the entry for DVD/CD drives and see what is in that folder. You can delete entries from here and Windows should recreate them when you reboot.
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

Last night I took the DVD-ROM drive out and replaced it with the DVD-R/RW drive. It works. I think that the secondary IDE port is broken. It's a new motherboard. I tried to update the IDE drivers. I'll try installing the DVD-ROM drive again tonight. I'm just going to keep the DVD-R/RW drive in there so I can still watch DVD's, and burn DVD's.

I also did remove the DVD-R/RW and DVD-ROM drives from the Device Manager and rebooted. It reinstalls the drivers and it's the same thing. Well, I'll try to fix it tonight and I'll post what happens.
ct_bullet
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ct_bullet »

how much was your DVD-R/RW please, i'm thinking of getting one, are there any particular brands etc?
movie fanatic

http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com/
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

It may not be broken, but it could be one of the jumper settings. Reset the jumpers to Cable Select, and if you're using an EIDE cable, try to keep your hard drive ont eh Primary, with your CD/DVD drives on the secondary.
Moderating behind the bushes!