MAC MINI?

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Meade87

MAC MINI?

Post by Meade87 »

Hey does anyone know if a Mac Mini can handle video editing? Would it be good for it?
-Rob(NYC)
[url]http://www.geocities.com/rmactor[/url]
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

It can but it would be okay, not that great. Upgrade it for more RAM or memory or something.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Use it to prop something up!
Moderating behind the bushes!
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

lol, um mac mini are non-expandable, this might work though would be really slow!
package 3
1.42GHz PowerPC G4<=slow
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory
80GB Ultra ATA hard drive
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
DVI or VGA video output
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth
Optional 56k Internal Modem

$699.00
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

the mac mini would be ok, except it only has 1 firewire port which is a problem if you need to capture to your external hard drive, which you will most likely need as 80GB won't last long. Having said that, a lot of the LaCie external hard drives have extra firewire ports which is handy. I would recommend going for an eMac as it is more upgradable, plus works out cheaper once you add in the cost of monitors keybords, mice etc. The eMac runs great with final cut pro, I am currently running an eMac (I added ram) and it works fluently. I never have any problems with it.
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

Sayhi

Post by Sayhi »

A mac mini would be more stable than a pc but it has a small hard drive and it's expensive compared to a pc that does the same things. If you want to be serious about editing it's good that you have 512MB of ram or more. You must also know that the 1.42 GHz CPU of the mac mini is a lot faster than a 1.4 GHz PC proccessor. But with $ 700 you can buy a 3GHz Prescott (Intel) PC with 2x512 DDR 400 Ram (which is faster than 1x1GB because it works on dual channel), a very good motherboard with USB 2 and firewire ports (with a 6 channel sound card on-board) , a 64MB Graphics card and a dual layer DVD Recorder. The mac mini is a good computer but it is the best choice only if you need a very small and quiet computer or want to edit with FinalCut and don't have enough money for iMac/Power Mac.

PS If you decide to buy macMini for editing you HAVE to buy an external hard drive.