Wireless Problem

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wireless Problem

Post by UFProductions »

I've just recently started having problems with my wireless broadband router. It's only a month old, and has worked very well up until this point, but now I cannot connect to the internet with either of my computers. (One is a laptop with a wireless card, the other is a desktop, connected to the router VIA cable). I've established that it is the router itself, not my modem or any of the cables. The router is: Linksys Wireless B, 2.4 GHz Broadband Router (802.11b). If anyone can offer any help it would be greatly appreciated.
El Brenty

RE: Wireless Problem

Post by El Brenty »

Oooooh, Wireless!

I've stayed well clear of that route so far!

Check there's no interference from an external source.
Check that someone near to you (Like a neighbour) isn't using similar equipment which could be causing interference.

Try putting the laptop right near to the router, and see if that works

Apart from that, look up the manufacturer's website and see if they offer some specific troubleshooting that refers to this problem!
Moderating behind the bushes!
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Thanks for the help Cammy! Turned out that the router was overheating, we had it sitting right on top of the modem, so it was a pretty simple fix. Funny thing is, in the process of trying to fix this I found that my laptop is picking up a wireless signal from my neighbours half a block away! It's encrypted and everything of coarse, but it just shows how far these things reach.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Yep, and that's why I stay well clear of them. It isn't that difficult to hijack someone else's network and use their bandwidth with the right knowledge.
Moderating behind the bushes!