Motherboard Question

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Motherboard Question

Post by slimdog55 »

I've been looking at motherboards and I want to know, what is a server board? Well, I know it's for a server, but could I use one of them for my editing machine? (With Windows installed) The number of RAM slots is high. I would think it would be the best for editing/3D work. Can it be used?
Last edited by slimdog55 on Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
reflexive_cinematics
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Motherboard Question

Post by reflexive_cinematics »

I dont see why not. I mean you just buy what you need for the MB and then a case to fit it into. Why were you looking at server boards? You should be able to get a 'regular' one ( ATX or mini ATX style i believe ) and use that... unless you're planning on building a monster of a computer.
[url=http://www.reflexive-cinematics.com][img]http://reflexive-cinematics.com/images/sigbanner.jpg[/img][/url]
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

I planning to build one in a couple of years. I want to build it when I have enough money to make a good one. I want it to be a monster of a computer. I want the best editing machine my money could get me.
Nightingale_zero

Post by Nightingale_zero »

Server and workstation boards are usually more stable then your regular enthusiast board. Sometimes such boards require special registered ECC ram in the case of Opteron processors (this is due to the onboard memory controller). Some server/workstation boards come with support for dual processors (ie dual sockets), and most high end editing apps from adobe for example support dual processing of course you need an OS that supports multiple procs( XP/,linux,etc). Also as stated most boards are EATX standard(larger standard) but some fit the regular ATX format. Examples are MSI K8T Master 2 far(and the soon to be released MSI k8N Master 2 far which are both workstation class boards for opteron), NCCH-DL(xeon),PC-DL(xeon), K8N-dl(opteron). Only requirement of these boards are that you need a EPS12v psu with 24pin Atx connector.