Maybe I'll build one...

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Maybe I'll build one...

Post by Clarence »

I've been thinking for some time now, and I think I'm going to take on the challenge of building my own computer with the best parts I can find, and tons of memory to edit my films on. I'm a Mac user, though...so I have a couple questions:

1. If sufficient RAM, Hard Drive Space and Memory is supplied, is Microsoft XP generally stable for editing films and importing footage?

2. What software do you guys mostly use for Windows editing?

3. Should I do build a computer?
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Maybe I

Post by OutcastJiob »

1. Yes, it is.

2. I use After Effects and Premiere, with Photoshop for additional effects work, and Audacity for sound tweaking.
pi
3. Certainly!
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Maybe I

Post by Clarence »

Great. I'm brownsing through http://www.newegg.com for cases, etc. Not sure which kind to get.
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

you're a mac user... so why are you not looking into Final Cut PRo?
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Maybe I want so swtich to a Windows computer. They seem to be much easier to customize.
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

true. I just figured if you are used to mac then it would be easier staying with it. FCP was used on the movie "Cold Mountain" by one of the most famous editors ever.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Well, you may be right. I use FCE now, and I absoltley hate it. It makes me render audio, it's slow, you have to capture movies clip by clip. Maybe FCP is better, but I don't really know. One of those Power Mac G5s might be better than a powerbook. I'm not trying to start a debate over computers here, but maybe I should take your advice.
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

yeah here is what i am currently running.

XP Pro
2.8 Ghz
2 Gb Ram
250 GB Internal
120 GB Internal
60 GB external
5.1 Surround Sound
4x DVD-RW (plus dvd-rom)

software
Premiere Pro
After Effects 6.5
Adobe Audition
Adobe Encore DVD
anim8or (free 3d program at www.anim8or.com)

all this works like a charm. have never had any problems with it.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Wow, really? I've had quite a few freezes on the Mac; something I wouldn't really expect. I think I'm going to go with building my dream computer for video editing. By the way, does anybody here use Vegas 4-5? I found it on Sony Media Software's website. Is Adobe Premier preffered over it?

Oh, BTW: Apple Final Cut Express support costs $200 dollars. Yes, you could almost buy another copy of the software for that price. I had version 2, which turned out to be buggy and had a major error: It couldn't export video correctly! But the guy on the phone couldn't simply tell me to go to the forum and download 2.0.3. Nope, he tried to charge me for it. Ridiculous. :x

Found a pretty nice computer case w/ a power suply (280 WBP is that enough?) http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 018&depa=1

Isn't DVD-RW not as compatible as DVD-R?
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

a few people use vegas on here, and it is a pretty good program but i think premiere is preferred because it is more widely used and easier to find tutorials for it you need help.

and my burner works fine with dvd-r

what kind of budget are you looking at?
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

I know my computer that is being built is costing me about 2,000 USD. It will be upgraded beyond what Adobe recommended.
I am using Adobe cause i am a windows guy, and i spent to much time figuring it out. Plus I am not sure if ae works on a mac computer.
Nightingale_zero

Post by Nightingale_zero »

Since your going to be doing lots of rendering with this pc might want to step up to a dual processor xeon system with XP pro. I am currently running an opteron system, and most highend editing programs I have used take full advantage of the dual processors. A basic setup will probably cost around 2000-3000 dollars depending on what all you want on it. If I got you intrigued I can probably give you a complete break down of all the parts you'll need to complete it.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Nightingale_zero wrote:If I got you intrigued I can probably give you a complete break down of all the parts you'll need to complete it.
That would be great! As for "budget" I was hoping it would cost me well under $3000.
Nightingale_zero

Do you plan to do any gaming on this system(graphics related). Also I am assuming you want a good amount of storage ie atleast 500gb(more or less), Probably 1gb of ram is sufficient for most applications(unless your doing alot of CGI then ram gets eaten up rather quickly).
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

No, no gaming. As for applications, I'm looking into the Adobe Video Collection (standard version).
Nightingale_zero

Oh and another thing other the a firewire card( I am assuming you will be using dv) will you be requiring an video capture card (either external or internal solution)?
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Yes, a firewire card (I use MiniDV) will be needed.
Nightingale_zero

Vegas 4 and 5 are really great programs and I kinda prefer it over Adobe plus the fact is you can get the student version of Vegas for 180.
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

My school has a G5 with the 16x9 monitor and final cut pro 4.0 and its suppa fast, i like it.
I have a
compaq P4 2.4ghz
256megz of ram
xp pro
17" lcd flat panel
60GB internal
200GB internal
and a dvd burner
which i use all adobe stuff and everything runs rather decent may a few times it locks up if im running more then one program but the rendering are fairly fast.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

That's a great deal; I'm glad I'm a student! I believe Mushiman uses Vegas for his work. I'm still browsing through NewEgg.com, but I don't know what to look.
Nightingale_zero

Also when you meant your budget is sub 3000 did this include moniter,keyboard, and software. Just need to know before I go all out with 3.4gz xeons and 2gb of ram lol.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Well, yeah. But I'm not looking at really expensive keyboards. Probably one of those cheap ones that comes with a mouse. And I have speakers...but as for software, I'll need to get Windows XP and Vegas 5+DVD ($289 for a student) mainly.

So:

$289 (Vegas)
+$142 (XP)
+$20 (mouse/keyboard)
---------
$451 for software/mouse/keyboard
Nightingale_zero

Ya I seen that there is a version with the DVD software and a version without ( found the vegas 5 without dvd for 189.99). So then I will leave you atleast 300 dollars of the budget for that. Well back to work(should have an idea of what you will need in about 15-30 minutes).
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Thank you so much! I'll be offline for a little bit, but I'll be back on a little later.
Nightingale_zero

Ok well I came up with a solution. I'd like to talk on aim or something just incase you have any other questions. My aim name is sephiroth2029, and I will be on for a while yet. I can email you this list from newegg (minus vegas since they don't carry it on here).