New comp - Questions

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

New comp - Questions

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

Hey all,
I am thinking heavily about getting a new comp solely for my movie company. We are getting serious now, and have a big editing room and pro editing gear. Now, I need a comp so i can do the following things:
-communicate with a reliable email
-make dvd labels and covers
-make stuff with microsoft publisher, frontpage, word, powerpoint
-make a webpage with frontpage or dreamweaver
-keep files of projects+info
-store/write scripts
-make posters/multimedia stuff with previously established programs
-browse the net effectivly

now, I don;t have $5000 so spend on a comp.
I was lookin i nsome catalogues, and they have Celeron (or somethinng to that effect) D 320 and 330 processor comps with 80 gb or space and 512 mbs or whatever (i dont know what its called) for $500.

Now, my main question is, can I do well with this type of processor with a $500 comp, or do I need a petium 4. Also ,would a comp like this be cheaply made or have failures?

Thanks,
as you can see, im not a comp geek
any help would be great!

-MaTT Tallman
Last edited by tallman_house_pictures on Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com
Grant

RE: New comp - Questions

Post by Grant »

u may as well go for the most powerful system that u can afford
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

The problem is, I don;t want to spend too much but at the same time I dont want to end up with a bad comp. Any money I dont spend on this will go right to some WWII weaponry so you can see my contemplation lol.

My main question is about the celeron D processor.

Help please.
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

I don't know if this is the case with new processors, but the experience I've had with the older Celerons says they suck. Like I said, I don't know if this is the case with the new ones, though. Getting a Pentium 4 is definitely the safe bet, or you could always consider an Athlon of some kind.

You could also just build a PC yourself--you'll get exactly what you want and almost certainly save money. And you don't have to be a computer geek to do it, just get a book or videotape on the subject, heck, even some of the internet tutorials will walk you through it step-by-step.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Nothing wrong with the newer celerons, earlu celeron had no on chip cache, not they have some, less than Pentium class chips, but for what the punch list of uses indicates, a celeron would be plenty of proc for those kind of jobs... we still use 800 MHz Celeron in some of our classrooms for exactly the same basic functions. If you don't need RT previews and don't mind a bit longer render time, then you could even use it as an emergency edit machine.. I also wouldn't ry doing any heavy color correction.. I have a 20 minute clip rendering now, with some heavy duty color correction and the broadcast filter on it - render time was slightly over three hours on an Athlop XP running at 2.2 GHz with a Gig of Ram...
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

You've got Future Shop in Manitoba right? Head on down there, I just got a new comp from them a month ago and the offer is still on. $1500 CAD for an Pentium 4 with HT, 160 GB hard drive, 1 GB of ram, Radeon video card, and a Samsung 19 inch LCD. It'd be even less, arounf $1100 without the monitor.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Yeah we do.
I'll take a look...although i only have around $600 right now
LucII

Post by LucII »

I think i put together all the computers in this household myself, no wait scratch that, we have a laptop.
I prefer to buy the parts separately over buying a finished comp. That way ill get precisely what i want, of course i get no support from the place im buying it this way, but i never needed it either.

As for the processor, it should be fine with this kind of tasks.
Superheroes and evil twins go together like peanut butter and......evil peanut butter!
Meade87

Post by Meade87 »

Celeron's Suck... They Are Garbage. They Are cheap cards made to push a buck.... and would be the worst for Film Related stuff. I built a computer 3.5 years ago and it still works fine for film related stuff.

Specs: Pentium 4 (1.6GHZ I need to update the processor, but still works amazingly well)
80GB Hard Drive
1 GB of Ram (I need to push up the RAM some)
-Sony DVD Burner
-Need to update Video Card (Bought a cheap one cause I was straped for cash)

Best Bet... Build a computer...
You will end up spending almost a grand but it will be 10xs better than any commercial PC sold for the same price.

www.tigerdirect.com offers some great prices for high quality products
and so does
www.pricewatch.com

----
I'd build one for you, but I doubt you'd want them cause you'd have to pay for the parts and like an extra $50 for me to build it and the shipping. But you could do it and at least if you built it you would then know enough that if it broke you could fix it. PCs aren't that complex to build.
-Rob(NYC)
[url]http://www.geocities.com/rmactor[/url]
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

I got a comp, p4 2.8 ghz overclocked to 3.2, 1.5 gigs of ram (atm, gonna take out the 512 stick and put in another gig stick).... 789$ for the tower. ati radeon 9800 and im upgrading that, and that was a year ago. DO NOT GO FOR CELERON's....its basically a pentium but faster
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Celerons are just cut down versions of Pentium chips.

They run at the same clock speeds and bus frequencies, but the main difference is the size of the Level 2 cache.

I just got me a P4 3Ghz which came with a 1MB cache, whereas if Ihad got a Celeron, the cache would have been 256K. It has nothing to do with system memory, but can dramatically speed up bulk processing jobs. Applications that are processor intensive will start to benefit from the bigger cache.

Also, I think another difference may be hy[perthreading. I'm not sure if it is supported in celeron processors. Technology is escaping me these days. Raptor will know this one. Or you could look it up somewhere.

But in general, Pentium IVs are better than Celerons, and this reflects int he price.

However a system with a Celeron, good memory, good spec motherboard will do pretty much anything you need these days.
Moderating behind the bushes!
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

gaming? I think not.
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

Get an athlon 64. 3500
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Don't bother with DVD labels, they look tacky. If you want a more professional looking DVD, go for a DVD printer. I have one, from Seiko, it's a CDP-2000, a little outdated now, but if you use the printable media from Seiko, and finish it off with the laquer they also sell, you get a really professional looking CD/DVD.

If you are really serious about producing professional looking products, seriously consider investing in one of these. They're not much different in price to a regular ink-jet printer.

I bought mine because I was originating artwork for design studios and licensing companies and needed to give artwork on CD in a professional looking manner.
Moderating behind the bushes!