Maximum Cable Lengths

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

El Brenty

Maximum Cable Lengths

Post by El Brenty »

I need to get a cable from my warehouse to a flat next door (My new flat! YAY! That hard work is paying off!).

The flat is about 30M away, and where my computer will be sited will be about another 25m.

Will a really really long cable do the job?

Should I use a small hub half way to help relay the signal?

What other options are there? I heard about wireless networks, and have seen the adaptors on sale, but I also hear about people hijacking your network connections easily and using your bandwidth. Also, if there is a lot of RF noise would it make the signal drop out?

Anyone?
Moderating behind the bushes!
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

RE: Manimum Cable Lengths

Post by Matt »

I think CAT5 ethernet can do a few undred metres no problem. So you should be ok.

Wireless is great, but signal strength is a gamble. You really can't predict what your signal is going to be like until you try the stuff.

Security is a concern with wireless but if you take precautions then it is OK.

Glad your plans are coming together. As they used to say in the A-Team ....
Grant

Post by Grant »

Cat5 havs a general acceptance of about 100 meters range, each end jack though counts as 1 metre
Adam

Post by Adam »

You could use cat 6 cable screen twisted pair it will do better if it is an electrically noisey area, it will be more expensive as well
Grant

Post by Grant »

25 metres should be fine with cat5 though, and you would not need a repeater or a hub for a cross over cable
edinc90

Post by edinc90 »

Wireless might be an option, if the signal is having trouble there are uni-directional antennas you can get to focus the signal (just make sure the wireless router has an antenna port). As long as you have a WEP encrypted password protecting your network, most people won't be able to get in. I like my Apple products, but Linksys, D-Link and many others have wireless routers.
My website: www.edcarlson.tk
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

Cat 5E will do the trick and wont cost you an arm and a leg. If you have a need for wireless though, this could be a good time to go that route. Enterasys makes some very good and afforable solutions for wireless. DO NOT GO with Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, and that kind of cr**. If you have some coin to throw I would personally go with Cisco's Wireless solution, because they have the ability to signal shape, you can do whats called hand off or it monitors where the person is heading and pushes them to the next node that has the best signal. Things like that. Also something to consider when installing wireless in a warehouse is the difference between signal reach when its empty and full. Anyway a few ideas for you.
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com
www.lakesideentertainment.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Great news everybody, I'm now connected and up and running!

I couldn't get a good enough signal coming through the cable to start with, but the cause of the problem (That I correctly suspected) was the crimping of the plugs! As I didn't have a crimp tool (Until this morning) I had to make the connections by hand, and, well, this seems to be one instance where you need the right tool for the job! unlike phone line plugs, network ones are a bit more fiddly.

So, I'm all up and running again (From home) and you'll see a bit more of me again now!

Actaully, it's 11 days until Ivonne comes over from Mexico, so perhaps not straight away! HA HA HA!

There's no drop out whatsoever - I managed to avoid any sharp corners as well!

Now I need to set up a better computer (This old one has no USB, and it's toooo slow!), perhaps hook it up to my 32" widescreen TV instead of a monitor, and throw in a wireless keyboard and mouse!
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

wireless keyboards = the s***!....i love em, i got one from yahoo.com as a giveaway from an e-mail, it seemed legit and it was...it has a wireless mouse built right onto it.
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Hmmm, wireless mouse built into the keyboard! Man, I never knew there was such a thing! I just bought a set of separates!