HT seriously is a very cool technology

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Which technology do you think has the greatest recent prestation influence?

Hyperthreading
50%
Prescott chip technology
No votes
Intel processor frequency enhancement up to 5 GHz
No votes
AMD's 64-bit technologies
33%
AMD's Clawhammer chip technology
17%
Intel's great bus speed advantage
No votes

Total votes: 6

ssj3gohan

HT seriously is a very cool technology

Post by ssj3gohan »

Until about 4 months ago, I have always worked with windows XP on a 900 MHz pIII and win2000 on a 600 MHz AMD Duron, and I always admired the shear strength, compatability and security of those platforms, even on those older computers. But, if I run multiple applications, even lighter ones, I frequently get to wait 20 seconds to alt-tab successfully to the other program (e.g. working in excel, tabbing to winamp). Shear processing power doesn't help against this problem, as I have a friend with an overclocked 2.4 GHz p4 (to 3.1 GHz) who has the same problem, but of course only with a bit heavier applications and such.

Now, as I said, since 4 months, my mother bought a 3.06 P4 w/hyperthreading (HT), and I never have that problem anymore. Even when I'm running 3ds max, winamp, terragen (rendering), vegas AND micrografx picture publisher next to each other, I always get direct response, no exceptions. Hyperthreading seriously improves respons times on my computer by a great deal. I can 'measure' this because the laptop is a laptop, and laptops can run on batteries. However, if it runs on it's battery, the computer turns off some bells and whistles to reduce power dissipation, and for instance turns the processor on 'celeron mode', reducing clock frequency (slightly, 3066->2950 MHz), and turning off HT. That makes a VERY VERY big difference in response.

So, does anyone have similar experiences with this great HT technology, or bad experiences, or whatever to say about this topic?
[img]http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/c.nijssen-parhan/banner1.JPG[/img]
Nightingale_zero

Post by Nightingale_zero »

Well HT is nice but its only simulated dual chips. I myself prefer dual cpus as in my dual opteron rig hehe. What I am really waiting for are nexy years dual core 939 pin opterons that should be backwards compatible with all opteron motherboards therefore I should be able to upgrade to quad processing by next year (at a high premium though). The only thing I would see as cooler would be a dual core xeon chip with hyperthreading so I can run 2 of those on a mobo for a total of 4 real procs and 4 virtual procs (oh the shear thought of the processing power).
xbreaka420

Post by xbreaka420 »

intel had a 64 bit proc back in 1998, called the itanium theres also 128 bit procs out there so why is everyone like omg amd 64 bits,
Nightingale_zero

Post by Nightingale_zero »

Well the main thing thats exciting about 64bit computing now is that more consumer based software will start supporting it. 64bits advantage is the use of more memory which is good for apps like video editing. Anyhow I picked my opterons not only because of there 64 bit architechture but also because of its future upgradability and its raw processing power compared to more expensive Xeon based systems.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

xbreaka420 wrote:intel had a 64 bit proc back in 1998, called the itanium theres also 128 bit procs out there so why is everyone like omg amd 64 bits,
The difference is marketability, Itanium is too slow to market, windows was too slow to develop 64 bit components, and the price of the Intel made it suitable for server and hi end workstation uses, not your basic or even mid range desktop. AMD-64 puts 64 bit computing into a price friendly place.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
ssj3gohan

Post by ssj3gohan »

Nightingale_zero wrote:Well HT is nice but its only simulated dual chips. I myself prefer dual cpus as in my dual opteron rig hehe. What I am really waiting for are nexy years dual core 939 pin opterons that should be backwards compatible with all opteron motherboards therefore I should be able to upgrade to quad processing by next year (at a high premium though). The only thing I would see as cooler would be a dual core xeon chip with hyperthreading so I can run 2 of those on a mobo for a total of 4 real procs and 4 virtual procs (oh the shear thought of the processing power).
I guess you've got both years of spare time and millions of spare dollars?
omfg, that's just mega! And I should be happy with my humble 3.06 GHz HT??
[img]http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/c.nijssen-parhan/banner1.JPG[/img]
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

There is this thing on where you can get a free laptop. I have tried it and it works. you just have to check this inbox on a website and click on the button at the bottom of the page. What happens it advertisers pay them loads to advertize and when you have looked at so many advertrs they send you a laptop!

Here is a link http://www.ezlaptop.com/index.php?ref=64343
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!