Help me build an editing pc

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Help me build an editing pc

Post by Carnage7p »

i want to build an editing pc. my limit is $2000. got any good sites to build a pc? i need some help picking the right options.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Cue Raptor!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

oh i will need a printer too because this is giong to double as my college computer.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Okay, on the printers, I'd go for Epson 6 colour inkjet printers. They're affordable, do fantastic photo-relistic quality, and if you get a slightly better spec one, you can use independent colour cartridges, saving you a small fortune in the long run on throwing out half-used inks, just because 1 colour ran out!
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Start at http://www.tcwo.com Things to look for generally... fastest AMD/Intel P4 chip you can find. I prfer NVidia or Intel chipsets on the motherboard as opposed to VIA. We've had some flakey problems with some of the VIA chipsets. That said on the proc/MB
Minimum of 512 MB of DDR to match your chip speed..
Serial ATA Hard Drive and controller or Minimum 7200 RPM EIDE drive - 120GB or better...
Here's a link to an Athlon 3000 package, MB and CPU for $307
http://www.tcwo.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st ... P0@h2ri2BX
ANd here's a P4 3.2GHz MB/CPU package for $531
http://www.tcwo.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st ... P0@h2ri2BX
Check out the mother board bundles, then fill in witht he ram etc you need...
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Grant

Post by Grant »

the tip is to reasearch everything and then look up help sites to see any common problems they parts may have. The problem is that the combination of hardware you have may present problems that no on has encountered, but that is all part of the fun of computers :)
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

Try best buy. I just built an Athlon 64 3200+, 1 gig ram, 120 GB HD, ATI Radeon 9800 Graphics card, a 17" monitor, and a printer for a little over $1900 at there customization counter. Although, it was with a sale, so I don't know about right now. It's an HP a450e. You can't go wrong with an HP or a VAIO. Both great systems.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

lol all part of the fun. my uncle's computer wont run premiere for no apparent reason, i spent 3 days trying to fix it, it was like being at a funpark for all three days! :roll:
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I just wanted to say that most printers from all the different manufacturs these days produce superb quality results. I don't want to give the impression that something I recommend is the only 1 to get, and all others are bad.

I have a small arsenal of different pritners, and I get the best results from Epson for colour inkjet printing, and HP for colour laser printing.

Unless you're willing to spend that bit extra on a colour laser printer, a mono laser won't serve you well for presentation work that could make use of photos and splashes of colour to highlight things.

HP are now offering colour laser printers from $700! but the running costs are prohibitive. For me a single colour toner cartridge costs about £100, and will last you about 2000 pages. When the manufacturers tell you 2000 pages, they base this on a percentage ink coverage. In reality if you start printing photos out, you're increasing the coverage percentage considerably, and reducing how many pages you're going to get from a toner cartridge!

Another thing to watch out for with entry-level colour lasers is small memory - My colour laser printer has 128MB RAM, and this is the minimum I'd recommend. If you have less than this (HP's entry level printers start with 16MB), your pages are going to take an eternity to process before any printing gets done.

Looking at the specs of this newer generation of colour lasers leaves me somewhat speechless - For the same £3000 I spent on my last one, I could have something that prints twice as fast! Oh well, I don't use it for speed fortunately, it serves me well for what I need.