Should I get a 64-bit?

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Should I get a 64-bit?

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

Ok, Im thinking of getting a new computer, because my current one unfortunately is a little too slow for optimal editing (1Ghz w 384 RAM) However I ran accross some store in my area's website and found out that they were selling computers with the new AMD Athlonn 3200+ 64-bit processors.

Does anyone think I should make the investment? My only problem is that I currently have Vegas 4 (32 bit app) and Win XP Pro (also the standard 32 bit) version) Does anyone know what I should do? If you have any advice, and preferably know somewhat of what you're talking about :D Please give it to me!

Note that the prices on these systems are about the same as a currenbt 32 bit system, which is why I was thinking about buying one. They can also run 32 bit applications.

HERE is the one I was looking at...

[Edited on 23-11-2003 by U.S.Amateurfilmaker]
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
mark_essex_87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mark_essex_87 »

My only problem is that I currently have Vegas 4 (32 bit app) and Win XP Pro (also the standard 32 bit) version)
- as mentioned before in the '64-bit pc's' topic - 64bit pc's will run 32 bit applications as well so theres not a problem there.

- i also read that the P5 is due between now and late next year. (this boasting a 4000mhz fsb and 5-7ghz) - so you might want to wait for a while?! :)
[url=http://www.downfallband.co.uk]Downfall Band[/url] < Now With 2 Songs! ;)
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

okay, I'll consider that. :)

However, I do have one more question...

How come the fastest AMD runs at 2.3 Ghz and the fastest Pentium is at 3.2 Ghz...Is it that they ahve a different architecture that causes a lower speed to perform the same, or are they just inferior to Pentiums?
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

The processor speed refers only to the number of clock ticks the processor generates in a given second, not really the processing speed of the chip. One of these days the manufaturers will use a real standard like MIPS ( millions of instructions per second) An instruction will consume multiple clock ticks to execute, and conceivably the 2.3 GHz AMD 'could' ( see the could here' execute faster than the 3.2 GHz Pentium chip, assuming it's opcodes were better performing, requiring fewer ticks to execute. Processor speeds are only effective when comparing chips from the same manufacturer and the same chip family. In other words a 2.3 GHz AMD is faster than a 2.1 AMD, but this is not a valid comparison with a chip from another manufacturer or from a different processor family.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Nightingale_zero

Post by Nightingale_zero »

If I were you I would build an SMP machine (dual processors). Alot of editing programs and even windows XP will take advantage of dual processors.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

If you've got the extra cash flowing out of your pockets then go for it, but try to future-proof the system a bit, so that your invenstment into the new 64-bit technology isn't completely wasted. It'll run 32-bit apps, but you're only using half the capacity of what your processor is capable of. Personally I'd wait for the P5 standard, but that's just me, I always wait to upgrade every 2nd generation. Gets too expensive otherwise.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

When will that be?
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

The trouble with 64 bit CPUs at the moment is that all your favourite apps run on 32 bit operating systems. Until you can run a 64 bit operating system with software designed to make the most of it a 64 bit CPU isn't that useful ..... although 3.2GHz is obviously going to run at a respectable pace :) What I think I am saying is don't pay a premium for it. Get extra RAM instead.
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

64 bit will speed up your rendering, WHEN you have 64-bit apps and OS...
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

ok, dude dont go with AMD, get an intel. AMD processors are known to heat up, potentally ruining them, thus your whole motherboard.....inless you drill holes in the side of your hard drive. Or get another fan which takes up space. trust me, my friend from boyn city had an amd for 3 months, thing blew right out: reason, the AMD processor overheated, and he barly used it, maybe 2 hrs a day. 4 days a week
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Truggy is right, BUT:

DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN THE SIDE OF YOUR HARD DRIVE!!!!

Sorry, but that could do more damage than prevention! Your motherboard should be okay after a processor burnout.

It always pays to get the best fan you can for the processor, and if you want to greatly extend your hard drive life, get drive cooling caddys. Okay, so it seems like you're paying out money for stuff you don't need - Not so, it'll cost you far far more when it all goes wrong!

Also, once a year minimum, check all your fans are operating, and gently vacuum out the dust that's built up everywhere on the fan blades, motherboard, peripherals, etc. A cool pc is a healthy pc!
Moderating behind the bushes!
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Well I got the 64 Bit...

Here are the specs...

AMD 3200+ 64 Bit Processor (Yeah, I went with AMD, don't shoot me)
1 GB RAM
120 GB HD
ATI Radeon 128 MB Graphics Card with TV out

I went with the AMD because it is the only 64 Bit Windows compatible out there, and plus, it came with the system and the processor is supposedly equal to a p4 HT Extreme Edition. Also, I got a 4 year wear/tear warranty, so if it blows up, it's replaced free of charge. :mrgreen:

I also got it at a steal - $1900!
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

that is a lot! I can get all that for £500!!
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!