My computer is riddled with garbage!

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

My computer is riddled with garbage!

Post by DeadLogic »

You have no idea how long it is taking me to write this. To combat the insane amount of popups every day, I downloaded "STOPZilla" Ever since, whenever I try to type on the internet, I am interuppted by little hiccoughs that freeze the computer for a fration of a second, and then sometimes highlights all the text, thinks I'm holding down the shift key, and sometimes not pressing anything at all. I have a crapload of spyware and adware on my computer, not to metion my Norton Anti-Virus has detected at least 3 Trojan Horses, yeat cannot destroy, fix, or quarantine ANY of them. My computer is now moving unbelievably slow. HELP ME!!!!!
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

When did you last defragment the hard drive?

It won't fix the problems, but may boost up the speed a bit!

As far as Norton goes - Email their customer support services and see what they have to say! You paid for the software, they should deliver the goods!

Oh, and I know everyone ridicules AOL, because the browser ain't all that great, but it does feature a pop-up blocker that works VERY well!

[Edited on 11-10-2003 by CamClub]
Moderating behind the bushes!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Ok two idea. Idea one burn all salavagle files you want to a disk then reformat.

Option two, wich you can do now or after option one.

Turn on the windows firewall
Download "Proxomitron" this will block your popups.
Download "Adaware" this will scan your computer highlight all the spyware and then delete it for you.
Update norten and windows.
And avoid using IE get a browser like Moozilla, if your on dial up, well then your just screwed.
DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DeadLogic »

Well, I can FIND the damn files I hate, but whenever I try to delete them, my computer tells me they're "Write Protected". I have defragged my computer about 3 or 4 times in the past week, but nothing ever stops bothering me. Adware now makes you pay money for it to get rid of POPUPS< AND NOW MY COMPUTER JUST GOT STUCK IN CAPS LOCK FOR NO FRIGGING REASON> HELP ME

I cant use the roller on my mouse because it makes me just use the "Back" button on windows explorer. Half the time when I'm typing, things like my file browser and cr** like that pop up. HELP!!!!!!!

[Edited on 11-10-2003 by DeadLogic]
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

It's drastic, but as foxwood suggested, a re-format and re-install would help (After you've backed up kazillions of files first).

If you go into START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>SYSTEM TOOLS, then SYSTEM INFORMATION, then TOOLS, then SYSTEM CONFIGURATION UTILITY, then click on the STARTUP tab, you can deselect files from loading into memory when you switch the PC on.

Make sure you keep Scanregistry, Systemtray. If something stops working (Like a printer), look down the list to see if you can see something that would be a possible description of a program theprinter for instance would use, and re-select it.

ALso, go to START>SETTINGS>CONTROL PANEL, and ADD/REMOVE SOFTWARE - clear out any programs you don't want by un-installing them - it'll free up some resources.

An after thought, go to START>FIND?FILES OR FOLDERS, and search for *.tmp. You'll probably get loads coming up. With no other programs running, select them all, and delete them! Don't delete any folders that appear, just files. They are all phantom files taking up hard drive space that should have been closed down when you closed programs. They tend to build up over time!

[Edited on 11-10-2003 by CamClub]
DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DeadLogic »

I've tried ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS but It doenst detect a lot of these damn internet toolbars that I KNOW are signalling popups. Excuse my language, but DOES ANYONE EVEN f*** READ POPUP? LORD! I want to kill the people responsible for making my pentium 4 seem to me like a pentium 2.

So you are suggesting that I wipe my hard drive? Thats one of the solutions I wanted to steer clear of.... It would be the most humongous pain in the a**.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Know the feeling!

Like I ALSO said go to the system tools thing, and give that a try - may work on the popups blockers.

Can't help much more apart from suggesting you contact whoever's software it is that you installed, and ask them for some support!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Adaware isn't what you want for getting rid of pop ups, its for sypware.
You want Proxomatron to block your popups.
And update norton, unless you have an old version.
In my expereance it is sometimes best to insted of fighting little battle aginst the comp, to just save a few people and nuke the thing and start from scrach.
It sounds really bad I would probably reformant my HD, pain in the a** or not its a sure fire way to end that. Or the programs I mentioned.
Super Chicken

Post by Super Chicken »

Last time my computer was riddleed with spyware and what not 4 innocent children were killed needlessly.

DO NOT LET THE SPYWARE CONTROL YOU! Resist the temptation to run out onto the street with your uzi and fire randomly onto the street from a belltower...
Super Enterprises
thewarmovie

Post by thewarmovie »

goto www.google.com and download the tool bar, it has a great pop-up blocker
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I use that along with proxomitron, I've blocked 339 popups since the last time I restarted the computer! :)