Blue Lights for Night

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Blue Lights for Night

Post by rhys »

Does anyone know where i could possibly get blue lights, which are used for lighting dark places to still make it seem dark but visible on camera, like from haute tension (high tension).
It just looked interesting, and i often want to film outside at night, but you cant see a thing and i dont have a night vision thing on my camera. And also, i dont just want to film during the day and then color correct it to look dark, because that takes forever to render and i cant be bothered doing it, and the idea is to film at night.
Or would anyone know how to light dark areas, still leaving it with a dark feel?
Hide or fight for your life?
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

you probably wont but you should buy a lowell lighting kit and put blue filters on them if your serious into buying a light kit.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Get some blue gels and put them in front of flood lights...or use a blue lightbulb.
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

why do they call it gel?? its a peice of plastic paper
www.myspace.com/kendallfx
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

"In early days coloured water or silk was used to colour light in the theatre. Later, gelatin became the material of choice."

... I'd sugest buying some gels and a heavy duty work light to play around with at first. Won't cost you more than $100 to play around with.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

No thanks, im kinda going for the no-budget (upto like $200 for the entire film) style filming. Any other ideas?
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Spend the $100 on lighting. Nothing is more cost efficient as far as money spent to degrees of improvement in finished product as lighting. Or just buy the gels and put 'em over some lights you already have, car headlights have worked in the past.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

No. I would rather waste money on an underwater camera case, then waste my money on some lights.
I realise 'waste' might not be the word of the day, but spending over $100 to make a scene light is pretty damn dumb considering I'm cheap. Besides, why cant i just use some lamps that we have sitting around here?
vampiricyouth

Post by vampiricyouth »

Maybe because lighting is the most important part of cinematography and a couple of household lamps that are most probably balanced to 2800k are not nearly strong enough to light a scene properly or correctly as a 3200k tungsten light would?
Theshapecool
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Theshapecool »

Get yourself a 500watt halogen light, I got mine and it cost 7 pounds. Then get some hard tinted plastic to put over it, cheap and effective. we only need one halogen lamp its so damn bright. hope this helps!
Sledge Films Ltd, 'Independent film making since 2003'

www.RussDiaper.com

'This House is sacred to him, he has all his memories here, HIS RAGE!'
vampiricyouth

Post by vampiricyouth »

...And what about the shadows caused from just using a key? :S
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Your asking for ideas to buy blue lighting but not spend any money? Why would you spend money on an underwater case anyways, get a better camera.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Im not just gonna somehow pull $1,500 out of my a** to buy a camcorder DEDFX. I dont work, i cant be bothered wasting my time trying to and i wont until i NEED to.
And no one has said a damn thing about BLUE lighting in this thread anyway, just freaking tungsten lights. I am not rendering 40 mins to make it look blue, and i need other areas to be difforent colors.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

rhys wrote:No. I would rather waste money on an underwater camera case, then waste my money on some lights.
I realise 'waste' might not be the word of the day, but spending over $100 to make a scene light is pretty damn dumb considering I'm cheap. Besides, why cant i just use some lamps that we have sitting around here?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I tried twice. Twice, and that is all you are going to get. Silly little boy...

EDIT: Just read your above post, and I thought you couldn't be any more thick when I read your first one. Well you showed me! You showed me good.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Just face it i dont have the
$100 to play around with.
I will soon though, but ill be getting some thing better than some lights, its not like im filming everynight outside.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

So, you want to get 'blue' lights, and you're not willing to spend money on them. You asked "Where can I get blue lights?" A lot of people answered your question, but I guess you didn't notice.

You can't get blue lights. You can get a powerful halogen lamp and a blue gel to put over it. Or if you're not willing to put money into it, you can sit there and color correct it on your computer.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Yes Rhys there has been a lot of help here directed to your original question! Lights are a good investment and can be used for productions for many years to come, not just for a once off.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

I never said i wasnt willing to do it, and if i did oops. I said i dont want to spend $100 on a light. And im only lighting up my backyard, the rest would be color corrected.
Theshapecool
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Theshapecool »

Dude, tint it, it dosent take 5 mins to render, play around with contrast and brightness, save 7 quid for the lamp and 3 quid for the plastic or paint the bulb, what the hell is so wrong with that???? and heres me worrying about how to show someones brain being pulled from their head for my new movie (starring Lloyd Kaufman!) and your worrying about how to do a simple trick of the night lighting!, if this is the toughest thing you come across in film making for a while, consider yourself lucky!
Sledge Films Ltd, 'Independent film making since 2003'

www.RussDiaper.com

'This House is sacred to him, he has all his memories here, HIS RAGE!'
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

In your FIRST post you said the words "BLUE LIGHTING" and you now say nobody in this thread has talked about blue lighting. You want to spend less than $100 or more on lighting and need to light your WHOLE backyard???

Just shoot it in daylight then add a dark blue filter in post, no wait you said you didn't want blue, change the tint in post.
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

just to answer the kids question....go to a freaking home depot and believe it or not they have colored lights...the end.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

If you wan't to be really cheap, get some of those inexpensive metal work lights that clamp onto stuff (they're like what, $6.00?) and blue flood light bulbs ($3.00 at the most). And you have you're blue light that can brighten a small area. I'm sure you could have thought of that.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

E-F*CKIN-XACTLY! Thats all i was askin, and i dont go to bunnings wearhouse often so i wouldnt know. The light is so u can just see the stuff and so there isnt any noise. I need to be able to have lights coming from other places too, so im not exactly going to crop half the footage and color it so half my face is norm and the other is blue. And rendering half an hour of colored footage doesnt take 5 mins.
Anyway Clarence, thankyou.
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

Well, if that really is all you were asking for, then don't you find this thread to be slightly pointless?

I mean, how much brain power does it take to come up with the solution of "buying some cheap clamp on lights with blue flood light bulbs"?? Especially after Clarence mentioned the blue bulbs twice.

If you want more respect on the forums, please, think things through a little more. Don't blow off other peoples' responses because you think they're stupid, when they're actually just reflecting the simplicity/stupidity of your own question(s)...
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

LOL! No. Do u think theres a way i can make my strobe light just stay on? Cos that would work frikin wickedly.