Anything WWII

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Anything WWII

Post by DeadLogic »

Yes, it is I, DeadLogic, back from.... Well, mostly just Callofduty.org forums...

Anyway, anyone who can remember me knows I do WWII films. More than that, I am a WWII FANATIC. I want ANYTHING that LOOKS semi-authentic, as long as it's cheap. What can I get along the lines of cheap WWII gear and paraphanalia? Keep in mind, cheap is the operative word...

So far I've done well for myself, but I always want more for my films. Any suggestions how to get SPECIFICALLY WWII LOOKING stuff for a (very) cheap price? I'm open to any suggestions.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I have been working on my no budget version of a WW2 uniform for two days now. Still in progress and about half done.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by Epsilon on Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

Looks great. Maybe give it a more of faded look?
www.neverdead.co.nr
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Go roll in the durt with it. And then write up what you used and how you put it togther.
Reiji

Post by Reiji »

Very nice. But remember, stripes in WWII were white with black edging. They still are in England (albeit upside-down) ;)
[size=84][color=white][url=http://www.reijigames.tk]REIJIGAMES.TK[/url]
---
PLOT-DRIVEN STYLISH GAMES
REALTIME CG MOVIES[/color]

[color=blue]Intel Inside[/color]
[color=orange]Idiot Outside[/color][/size]
DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DeadLogic »

Holy cr** that costume looks nice! I have a few shirts almost Identical to the one you have there (but no 101st patch) and I have a few pairs of black or green suspenders, and some musette bags that hang over the shoulder. I wish I had that ammo belt... Where'd you get it? Also, what are you doing for guns? And helmets? And german Costumes? Lets's swap ideas man! You tell my your secrets and I'll tell you mine.

I also have 3 grenades, a really cheap airsoft colt .45 and walther p38, some german and american helmets made of plaster, molded with 2 REAL american halmets I have. I also have a cool Nazi officer's cap.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

for the belts and such check out gun shows, since I know your in the Us, they have lots of junk, at diffrent prices.
DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DeadLogic »

foxwood wrote: I know your in the US
*GASP* How did you find out?

Anyway, yeah, A gun show is where I got the airsoft pistols and one of my WWII Steel helmets. It was only 10$, and since it looks fine on camera, It wasnt a bad deal at all.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

no that not a bad deal at all. Finding good looking cheep guns is what keeps me making sword films, well for now......
DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DeadLogic »

Finding cheap guns is what makes you keep making sword films? Did you mean finding cheap SWORDS?

Anyway, I'd love to hear anything else anyone has to say on the subject
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

The shirt is Big Bill industrial work clothing, equivalent to Dickies. The cuffs are far from correct, hence they are rolled up! I purchased $4 in identical black buttons from a local arts and crafts store, which for hobbyists is a LOT of buttons! I made the patches myself, but look perfectly decent on camera. On the arm is a brown paper lunch bag, which I will spray paint the correct OD color soon and write FIRST AID on the side. The straps are a from a hiking pack I found lying around the house. The web gear is authentic 1942 stamped ammo belt with shoulder straps. Not seen but goes with it, is a khaki butt pack and canteen. You can find them for like $20 average on eBay. But not too common nowadays.

Vamp, if anything this uniform is too faded. Airborne wore dark khaki to light OD color uniforms. My trick is to color correct the lighting in post so that the colors look more to the originals. You guys are crazy to think I am going to dirty it up IN MY HOUSE!

As for German, I have a small collection of East Germany border guard uniforms, which do look quite like WW2 style, except MUCH cheaper. Even the hats look the same (have to add the swastika). The arms bands say the wrong things, but hey, we're talking no budget here.

I was going to set it with a haversack and shovel, but the airborne didn't use the standard infantry dressing. Nor did they wear leggings. I have also noticed that a Vietnam era helmet without the cover looks pretty much like a WW2 one. Just cover it with leaves and junk. I have a pellet gun which I recently realized looks just like an M1 carbine by sticking a fake ammo clip on it! Old socks make Great fillers for packs. Light in wieght and puffs them out greatly. I also have a black plastic binoculars case that looks just like a gas mask bag.

If you just look around your house, you will be shocked at what you find you can make!
DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DeadLogic »

Where did you get those german uniforms? I could really use some. It's amazing that I cant find ANY cheap, gray, button-up shirts for german costumes. I use camo jsckets, but that relly only historically works for the Falschrimjagers (paratroopers).

What else are you doing for guns and some more helmets? And may I ask the nature of your film (big war movie, solitary adventure). Do you need lots of costumes for big battle scenes? I REALLY wanna see your movie....
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I got the German uniforms off eBay for like $25-30 a set with hat. My friends have plastic guns and what-not, so I don't really need any personally.

I've been interested in WW2 for a long time, but never made a film based on it, so I figured, what the hell... I'll make a flick up just for the fun of it. One of those films where you really don't care about storyboarding, logic, or even the purpose of the movie. Dress a bunch of my friends up and have them run around hysterically. Play around with special effects and whatever we can make without spending a dime. Nothing big.

I own two Korean-Vietnam era raincoats that I was playing around with the other day. My brother walks in and says, "You know, those look german." I thought about it and figured I could possibly use them as nazi SS Waffen infantry jackets. If the scene is hectic... who is gonna tell the difference?
DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DeadLogic »

Sounds good. I'm going for a sort of car chase scene. My friend owns a dark green CJ7 Jeep, and I'll be using that with an old flatbed chevy truck with paneled sides as a German transport truck. The guys need to get to HQ to tell them that the line around Bastonge has folded, so they raid a german platoon that capured the jeep, and they kill a few Germans and drive off with it. The truck, filled with Nazis, follows in pursuit, and my BAR gunner in the back begins to shoot at the truck. In the meantime, German roadblocks are trying to stop us from passing. All the while, the cars only need to be going about 25-30 miles an hour to get a sence of speed from within the Jeep. It's a scene I'm looking forward to.

That German costume thing sounds like a Great deal. Where did you get all that kind of stuff? Also, any ideas at all on how you're goinh yo do explosions?
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Explosions. I was thinking of trying out some things like what Spielberg did in his very early films. Where you just need a couple planks of wood to step on and send piles of dirt into the air. I live right next to a large dried up reservoir filled with trees and shrubs. So that is a BIG plus for war films!

I got the German uniforms off eBay. They are comfortable to wear too! Here's a tip: Make sure you know what size you are getting!!! For hats, I'd say: 55-56 small, 57-58 medium, 59-60 large, from my experience. Not too sure about the jacket and pants sizes. I don't quite know what the different letters mean and I don't want to give you bad info! I would say that a 48 is around the medium size for coats, work from there.

Officer hats have chain straps, enlisted have plastic. Make sure to buy one with the shoulder boards included, if not, it just becomes a pain to get them. Also, make sure they have all 9 buttons, because it will look dorky incomplete! Don't trust sellers that won't give you all the info, good deal or not. You will probably end up with something you don't like.
Last edited by Epsilon on Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DeadLogic »

I doubt there is ANYTHING WWII that I wouldnt like for a cheap price. By the way, the plank/explosion thing is something I have tried.... I have to say, it didnt turn out terrible, and I used DIRT instead of DUST, so I think that it might be better with ash or dust, becasue in the movie I did, the explosion looked okay, but it only bent up to his mid-back to his neck. If you want to try something I devised, I'll give you the main idea (you might have even heard it form moy thread a while ago).

Potato-guns made out of PVC are operated by having a combustible substance in the chamber, and lighting it while the object to be projected is in the end of the barrel.http://gotspud.com/howto/buildbasic1.htm Is where the instructions to build a relatively safe potato cannon are. The only differences between the cannon featured on the page and the one I designed are

1. There must be a 90 degree upwards turn at the end of the barrel. This way, the debris you place on or in the end of the barrel will go up into the air.

2. Instead of a twist-turn ignitor, use a push-button one so the actor can stem on it, there-by making the gun fire and forcing the debris into tha air.

3. Do NOT use the PVC glue, as it is flammable, the PVC should fit together fine, and MAKE SURE it is securely sealed and fastened with duct-dapt or some other substance. I dunno WHY they recommended the gule...

If you want to try this, it is relatively cheap (mostly under 25$) and most of the things needed are in a hardware store. Keep in mind that you're doing this at you're own risk, and that I have not tried it before. I am just trying to give you an idea of how to make a dirt explosion. Take all the nessecary safety precautions needed to make sure you dont injure yourself. I'd also like the opinion of anyone else here about the contraption.

Were Speilberg's early films anywhere near HALF as good as the stuff from the guys at these forums? I really doubt it...
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I will look into that. Though I wouldn't use something that complex for a little flick film. Maybe in a larger production.

I got some pretty decent blast effects with my plank idea! I use a long enough piece to hide a jumper guy off screen. And trust me, when a 200 pound guy jump slams a board with all his might, dirts flies quite high. It just takes practice to figure out the most effective method of placing the wood and dirt. Not to mention keeping the board out of view. Usually, I place a layer of thick dirt, layer of leaves and twigs, thick dirt again, and a final layer of fine dust on top. I have found that to be the most effective effect with getting the dirt to fly up and leave a large cloud of dust as like a real "mortor" explosion would. I started switching to metal after I broke a number of wood planks. :)

I have also been looking for a WW2 German helmet. Ever since the nazi regime ended, the U.S. destroyed most of them. Even the rusted piles of junk are selling at $50 each. Anyone know a place to buy them cheaper?
DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DeadLogic »

YES, YES I DO. Let me go find the site and I'll edit it here. You can get really old ones from the spanish civil war (circa 1936-1939) that are sort of crappy with scratches and maybe a dent or two, but it's something like 3 of them for 40$!

GO HERE http://www.ima-usa.com/p28.html

Check out this cool deal....
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Wow, that is cheap. I will have to look into their site! Have you bought anything from them?
DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DeadLogic »

No, I only learned of it a few days ago, and being the extremely frugal person I am, I have not yet even considered paying 50$ (the shipping added) for that stuff. It IS a good deal, and I would suggest that anyone interested look into it. They probably need to be polished and get a good paint job fist, not to mention that since they mostly dont have liners, you need to stuff a ski hat or something on your head to make it fit.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Here is a picture of one of my East German Border Guard uniforms.

I made the award badge on his right pocket. For the ribbons, I searched online until I found some high quality photos of actuals, researched what dimensions they are, then went into Corel Draw and made some printouts. From there I cut them out, put them together, and glued the printouts onto a measured piece of cardboard. Looks pretty good for no money spent. I researched what decorations they used, and found a whistle chain that matched and a belt that looks fairly close.

I think it'll do just fine for a Nazi officer. Any suggestions?
DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DeadLogic »

Hmmm.... Well, It looks great for a High-ranking officer, but for a combat officer you will need to make some adjustments. Try to get some ammo pouches for it and maybe a pack or two. It looks a bit "fancy" what with all the colored lining and embroidering. You probably should just find a way to make it look like he's a combat officer by also getting a bag or something for him, and also pants and boots that are more for rugged use.

For a movie that will just be a basic firefight, you sure are working really hard on authenticy and stuff. I would STRONGLY suggest you at leas give SOME plot, so as to set up who is fighting, where, why, and develop the characters. This way, you can very easily make the movie so much more worthwhile.

By the way, I have a hat just like that almost, and it doesnt stay on my head at all! How does yours fit?
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

That particular hat is a size 56, which is way too small for my head! I have another one that fits a lot better, though it is a black-striped army officers hat. The shoulderboards are actually a Private rank, officers have silver ones. But at this point I don't anyone will really know! As long as the audience gets the idea. I will definately have some sort of plot. It won't be ludicrous! I don't have any German combat equipmet, but I could probably make something up if necessary. But this wouldn't be a combat officer. I can't really do anything about the colored lining, except maybe cut the green levels in post.

I always work hard on authenticity and historical accuracy. I was thinking I would try to make a movie setting priority on costuming first. I could put together something pretty fast for a script. I have written multiple scripts that will go nowhere, but have great lines. I have gotten the style of dialogue down for different war eras too. So I could compose something up quickly. It isn't a total lack of story!

Maybe I'll write something like: A group of 4 airborne soldiers get lost after their drop and don't know they are. They try to find their way around a rural area, but end up getting caught in a nazi stronghold. They fight their way out, find their company, and live happily ever after. That was off the top off my head. If I wanted to have some fun, I could write no script at all and film everything with my actors creating dialogue on the spot. That would be interesting. If I shoot hours worth in usable footage, I could probably put together something decent !

Umm... naw I'll write a script.
DeadLogic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DeadLogic »

Well, I think the officer's uniform looks great as it is. I was just saying that it just looks too clean and formal- There needs to be a bit of war paraphanalia to go with it. Just the gun for him to hold probably will make it 10x better, and I think my statements about having him get a bag should be disregarded... It looks fine, and money for buying a bag could be used eleswhere in your prop budget.

I had to film a movie today about the Spanish Civil War, but now there's about 2 feet of snow everywhere. I dunno what I'm gonna do now, since even though it snows in Spain, I think it's

A. Unrealistic for there to be 2 feet of snow
and
B. There's no way in hell I'm walking a mile into the woods with all my war gear, only to have my camera fall into snow and to lose equipment out there in the snow. Geez! If nature could have waited TWO more days, I would have finished the movie!
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I wish we here in the west could get snow. I'm still walking around in my shorts.

I played around with a neat idea for close-up scenes where you might need a light cloud of smoke. Take a roll of caps (like from a cap gun) and take a nail or something to pop them all very quickly. There is enough smoke to create that effect. Unfortunately, our government decided to pull all gun related products from stores. So caps are hard to find now, unless you go eBay.

When do you plan to finish your film?