Exploding Tennis Ball. :)

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

MattexFilms

Exploding Tennis Ball. :)

Post by MattexFilms »

Note: Don't throw directly at people! Don't use this inside, please DON'T!

Here is how to make an eploding tennis ball which could also be made to look like a grenade. You will need a tennis ball. Quite a lot of the matches which will strike on anything. Something sharp to cut with.

1) Slightly cut open a tennis ball then CAREFULLY cut off the heads of the matches which will strike on anything.
2) Put the match heads into the tennis ball and seal it up with something.

When you throw this and it hits the ground, the match heads will rub together and light and so the tennis ball will go up in flames. This is good for a nice fireball effect. You could also make this into a granade. I don't know how to because I'm not a goood crafts man!. You will have to be carefull when handling it because if shaken hard it might go up in flames so WATCH OUT! I've never tryed this before because I don't have the right matches. Enjoy!
Ok, who pulled the pin on this one...

www.freewebs.com/house-wars
www.youtube.com/mattexfilms2006
puje

Post by puje »

"I've never tryed this before..."

So how do you know it will work?
[url]http://www.bigcow.dk[/url]
[img]http://www.bigcow.dk/images/boardlogo.GIF[/img]
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

One of the worst ideas for film, sometimes it doesn't blow up until you hold it then BAM! This has been around forever. The side of it busts open, I don't know why'd you want it for an explosive effect?
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

mailboxs are what these are good for.....

no I don't know people that did that in their youth.....

ok it was my friend.
NWBRProductions

Post by NWBRProductions »

Use a ping pong ball, Tennis ball would smother the flame, ping pong balls are pretty flammable, and when its done burning (it takes a couple seconds) there's absolutely nothing left.

And as for the matches, you can pretty much use any kind. The trick is to cut off the striker from the match box and tape it face up inside the ball. That way you just have to mark the ball where the striker is, and hold it striker side up. In fact, if you use regular matches, you can grind up the heads in a mortar (if you have one) until they're powdery. Stuff a tissue under the ground match heads so they come in full contact with the striker, and it'll explode. You can toss in a few intact match heads as detonation insurance, but it's not completely necessary.

It's not perfect, I don't recommend it for movies. It's just not practical, the detonation mechanism isn't reliable enough to safely use. I've actually done this before (it works) and if you grind enough match heads up, it doesn't just fireball, it actually explodes. I can't think of a movie scenario where you'd want to use this, unless you're filming a movie about some kids who accidentally blow their fingers off f*** around with something they know is dangerous, but they think they can handle it cause they read about it in a forum somewhere.
Naked Wasted Brutal Righteous