realistic zombie effects

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

xiolainmonk

realistic zombie effects

Post by xiolainmonk »

i'm very interested in doing a zombie flick for my school film and animation festival, and i'm looking for some very realistic zombie effects, but they have to be cheap and cost effective.

also i follow a zombie makeup law from the movie dawn of the dead (2001)
zombies have three stages of looks:

stage 1
zombie has just been bitten. discouloratin of the bite wound (usually a large chunk has been taken out) and usually a few cuts and abrasions with discoulouration and very mottled and crusty looking blood (cause remember, it's a zombie, no actual blood flow)
(also if the zombie became a zombie while one was feeding on it, then more flesh wounds (bites) and cuts (large nail scrapings) dripping with gore and blood)

stage 2
zombie has many large gory looking cuts and abrasions. lots of discouloured skin and gross out effects around bite wound (now larger). possibly missing limbs or they are dripping with blood, or are spilling guts

stage 3
zombie has started to decay. mottled rotting skin around any unnafected flesh. heavy decay around all wounds which are now larger and darker. possibly grey discoulored flesh and many dark veins on unnafected skin.

it also helps to know a little bit more about zombie physiology so look for a book called The Zombie Survival Guide, which is a fiction book that discusses the physiology and makeup of your average virally infected zombie typically from dawn of the dead (even though it is only a fiction book which i nearly ended up beleiving :P , it does in fact prove some interesting facts!)

and i'm also looking for any basic blood gush effects, such as for sword slicing (yes, i do own a katana) or any bladed wepon in praticular (since i live in canada eh? guns are illegal to own in my city. plus the fact that my family doesn't have any wepons so to speak....)

and mabey burned flesh.
i think one of my freinds is going to animate a light saber into the movie.

oh and for anyone who wants to see a really good movie. there is one on filecabi.net, just serch for gore and look for baghead. a ten minute short of compiled gore effects worthy of the gods! enjoy!
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: realistic zombie effects

Post by maj_barnes »

Next time make only one thread.

Click here forGore

Zombie s***
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7dW0A4rnnYk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7dW0A4rnnYk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
xiolainmonk

Re: RE: realistic zombie effects

Post by xiolainmonk »

maj_barnes wrote:Next time make only one thread.

Click here forGore

Zombie s***
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7dW0A4rnnYk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7dW0A4rnnYk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
sorry bout' that, im sortta new here. but i watched the video, and it is excellent for what i need for the zombie third phase. but i am still looking for some really good open flesh ripping effects, and i think that that toilet paper and latex trick is a little bit cheap looking. i'm looking for a good quality makeup that i can get for around $20-$30.
i think that there is a product out there called gel-10 but i think it is way too expensive. you can check out a demo at youtube for it. just serch for
Gel-10 Cut Kit demo

well i got to go now....
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

I'm making a zombie film with my friends right now, we're using gel-10 and it isnt that expensive and it looks really nice.

but i mean if money is a problem you might have to go with the latex and toilet paper thing cause you're going to have to make a lot of them.
xiolainmonk

Post by xiolainmonk »

Vor wrote:I'm making a zombie film with my friends right now, we're using gel-10 and it isnt that expensive and it looks really nice.

but i mean if money is a problem you might have to go with the latex and toilet paper thing cause you're going to have to make a lot of them.
really? how much is it? beacause i would really like some of that stuff. i actually find that in most videos, it is of excellent quality. but what i need is quantity, since i will probably be having near over 30 student zombies.
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

The stuff is like 20 dollars, I have a lot of zombies in my film too, so what we're going to do is put gel-10 on the zombies that are going to be up close to the camera and then latex and tissue paper on the far away ones.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Have you seen those stick-on flesh wounds and injuries that stores sell around Halloween?
xiolainmonk

Post by xiolainmonk »

Epsilon wrote:Have you seen those stick-on flesh wounds and injuries that stores sell around Halloween?
you know what? i think i could get a really good effect with that by combining the latex and tissue paper over top of it. that way it will blend in with the skin better. thanks for the tip :)

oh and i just talked to my schools animation council about using gel-10 and it turns out that the effect is a little too gory for our movie.... oh well, but i should keep that stuff in mind for halloween or something! lol

by the way. are there any gel-10 kits available that come with basically all i need for the making of a fleshwound?
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

Yes, you can just call up the company and just tell him what you want and Dont forget to mention smokeythebear from the fx lab sent yeah. Ask for mitch at the store.
www.myspace.com/kendallfx
xiolainmonk

Post by xiolainmonk »

smokeythebear wrote:Yes, you can just call up the company and just tell him what you want and Dont forget to mention smokeythebear from the fx lab sent yeah. Ask for mitch at the store.
well, i'd love to but i don't know the company that you are talking about....
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

www.myspace.com/kendallfx