Script Formatting

Tutorials and guides or links covering software discussed in these forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Bocca

Script Formatting

Post by Bocca »

Okay, okay...Stupid question I know.

But I've never been taight/been able to find out how to format a script properly.

What are the basic guidelines? Like with the INT. EXT. etc, what goes in Italics and what gets Capitalised, where on the page do I write the action/dialogue/notes etc.?

Sorry lol, I searched google but all I got was a bunch of ScriptWriting Software which promisesto make yoiu a Hollywood Hot Shot for only a few bucks.
Formerly Jowka

"If people looked at the stars every night, I bet they'd live differently"
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Script Formatting

Post by Mr.Anderson »

at the beginning of every scene it needs to say either EXT. (exterior) or INT. (interior) then either DAY, NIGHT, DUSK, MORNING so on. Just the time of day.

then a dash. Then the location. Action descriptions and Dialogue should be pretty self explanatory. FADES or CUTS will be in the lower right hand corners of scenes.

And changing ANY setting, calls for a new scene heading. No matter what. Example:

INT. DAY-INSIDE BRIAN'S CAR

Brian opens the car door.

:CUT TO

EXT. DAY-OUTSIDE, NEAR BRIAN'S CAR

Brian walks away.

I use Final Draft 7. It works great, and does alot of the setup for you.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

i know for a fact that there were a couple tutorials on here about that kinda stuff, all i gotta say is download Celtx (its free) and it shows you how to do everything, its pretty easy too :D .....
Bocca

Post by Bocca »

awesome, thanks. Is Final Draft 7 free? *goes to search google* I'll definitely look into Celtx, thanks
Formerly Jowka

Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

Im not sure....but uh...yeah, i got it free. shhh.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
Bocca

Post by Bocca »

haha, I shall have to do some searching to see if theres a way to...acquire it. thanks for the tip.
Formerly Jowka

wildabeast009

Post by wildabeast009 »

Technically there is no "correct" way. BUT there is a way that is easy to read and everyone understands. It is also the only way agents will accept it. It is also the way that pretty much every script in hollywood and other film markets is formatted/written. For me, the Scene Heading is the most important part of the formating, because it is what quickly estblishes the location. Mr. Anderson is correct except that the LOCATION goes before the time. e.g. INT. MIKE'S HOUSE - DAY. (But that's just nit-picking.) The main reason I always make that exact in scripts and what-not is because it makes it easier to read and in Final Draft(and maybe others too, im not sure) it makes the scene/location reports a hell of a lot nicer looking. But it is ofcourse what suits your needs best. Here's a very helpful link. http://www.scriptwritingsecrets.com/contents.htm
You know what's a fun game? Take 3 Excedrin PM's and see if you can whack off before you fall asleep. You always win, that's the best part about the game. -Cal, [i]The 40 Year Old Virgin[/i]
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

I use Scriptbuddy.

Go to www.scriptbuddy.com

Its like a template its really useful
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
nigel101

Post by nigel101 »

www.makingthefilm.net
theres info on selling advice , script formating and storyboard formats.
WWW.ALIENRISING.COM
[img]http://a745.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/20/m_06109da51426e24555193bf1d6acfb00.jpg[/img]
WWW.MAKINGTHEFILM.NET
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

There are some free MS Word plug ins but I recommend Final Draft 7, that being said time of day etc doesn't matter as much as the sluglines ( Int./Ext. etc), format really just depends on who you are working with I have seen people with budgets work off of scripts that weren't formatted to any standard, as well aas totally anal rententive scripts. While I usually stick to the preferred method as it saves time in revisions there is no correct way.
chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by chrisgreen »

When writing i've used Word (with my self-made templates) Final draft 7 and Celtx and i have to say, out of all of them i preferred Celtx. It's very easy to use and has some decent tools which come with it, and... oh yeah, it's free (and legal) too! Saying that Final Draft is a good peiece of software and i haven't found anything wrong with it as yet, i just prefer Celtx.