Computer Animation

Tutorials and guides or links covering software discussed in these forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Meade87

Computer Animation

Post by Meade87 »

Hey people. I am new to this website, and I am a high school student who aspires to be a film maker in New York City. I would like to teach myself how to creat computer generated animation and place them into a scene I have filmed. I.E. Making something simple like creating a computer generated soccer ball and having this go wildly crazy like in that Asian Soccer Comedy Film. I am just wondering how to mteach myself all of this interesting stuff and what software I will need to attain to go about it. I think a lot of the stuff on this site is awousome and I have learned a good deal. So If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. :D
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Why the hell would you make a soccer computer generated? A general rule in filmmaking is when you can do something real do it real! And making a soccer ball bounce around isnt to hard.. for a comedy look speed it up, things you would want to computer generate are things you really cant film, eg a scene from starwars in space or something.. not a soccer ball..
Sigs suck a**.
Meade87

Post by Meade87 »

LOL, You missed the entire point. That soccer ball was a reference! A movie actually did it! It was asian flick about a group of different people with different special abilities who come together and make a soccer team or should I say football team for there sake. It was a mere statement to describe or articulate what I meant. I meant I want to learn how to do that stuff on my own, and I was wondering if someone could help me and tell me where to start and what to use. I do not want to use a soccer ball. I want to use other things. Things that I can't have because of my budget maybe crane shot scaling up the side of a skyscraper since I live in NY ...I don't know yet but I know I want to start somewhere. You entirely missunderstood me.
-Rob(NYC)
[url]http://www.geocities.com/rmactor[/url]
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Somethings, If you don't have the money , are best not done.. contact me if you ever need any help special effects/visual effects, i'll be happy to help you .. if you want some times on how to start of aim me at I3lade203 , or msn me at I3lade203@hotmail.com if you have yim or icq, youll have to ask me sepertalty to go on those.
Sigs suck a**.
Meade87

Post by Meade87 »

Ok, so no one can help me out and tell me where to start to teach myself how to do this? For instance for an upcomming project I have I qwant to have blood splatter onto the screen and have it slide down to reveal the title of the film. How would I go about doing this?
-Rob(NYC)
[url]http://www.geocities.com/rmactor[/url]
Job

Post by Job »

Why don't you "make" blood, and throw it onto the camera. (the camera has too stand behind glass)
than you drag the glass down, so that the blood slides down.
and in FCP or AE you can add effect too make it more real

(Im Dutch by the way :P )
DoubleCross

Post by DoubleCross »

hi! yeh i do loadsa animation, my forte :P! lol, wot u wanna get is a program like Flash MX (thats wot i do) and preferabli b good at art:P. My fave style is manga, wot i do i:
1: draw characters in diff positions needed,
2: Draw backgrounds
3: Draw Props

then u scan them into ur computer and colour them in photoshop or an equivalent.

put them into flash after colouring and putting in filters. Or you can just as easily (tho not as professionally) draw str8 into flash. Hav fun animating! if u need ne help tlk 2 me
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Umm, he's talking 3D i'm pretty sure such as max.. Flash MX is pretty easy, I use it all the time.
Sigs suck a**.
Monty_PythonFjords

Post by Monty_PythonFjords »

http://www.blender.org

It's a bit unconventional and somewhat harder to master than similar apps, but you can get good results. Oh, and it's totally Free. That's a good thing.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Blender is very difficult for most people to use. I suggest 3ds max, lightwave, maya, ect.

By the way, do you guys realize how old this thread is? ;)
Sigs suck a**.
Monty_PythonFjords

Post by Monty_PythonFjords »

Age means nothing - Just how long you have to wait for wisdom.

Well, if you took the time to learn it, Blender would be easy as anything (If you knew how)
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

just make some fake blood out of

chocolate topping (the cheap stuff works best)

red food colouring

cheap easy realistic blood and chuck it onto the plexiglass infront of the camera!
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

He wasn't asking for anything about fake blood..
Sigs suck a**.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

Meade87 wrote:Ok, so no one can help me out and tell me where to start to teach myself how to do this? For instance for an upcomming project I have I qwant to have blood splatter onto the screen and have it slide down to reveal the title of the film. How would I go about doing this?
Ah, yes he was!

Oh, and visit my forum!
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

He wants the blood CG not real blood. He didn't ask how to make a mixture of blood. He is asking how to do this all animated.
Sigs suck a**.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

Eh, this way is easier!

visit my forum.... http://com4.runboard.com/bnazisentrysboard
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Thats not the point though. The point is that he wants to learn how to do all this cg for him self, he dosn't want an "easier" way.

Stop spamming your forum.
Sigs suck a**.
XhuntedoverlordX

Post by XhuntedoverlordX »

Max is good but I wouldn't buy it before knowing how to use it. Its easy to learn, but you know, just in case. I'd start with something free like Anim8or or G-Max. Only problem with G-Max though is that it can't render or use materials, but it is good for modeling and animating things. Plus it has almost the same interface as Max.
xander3000

Post by xander3000 »

I downloaded anim8or but have no clue how to use it, does any one kno of ne decent tutorials 4 it?
XhuntedoverlordX

Post by XhuntedoverlordX »

There are some tutorials on the anim8or website, if you can't find what you want just tell me what you need and I can write something up.
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

www.learningmaya.com and www.highend3d.com have some good tutorials.
learningmaya.com is all Maya and highend3d.com has 3dstudio max and Maya resources.

I personally use maya, is it used mostly in movies?
The Illuminated | The Matrix Revalations
-Production | Pre-production
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

Almondo99 wrote:www.learningmaya.com and www.highend3d.com have some good tutorials.
learningmaya.com is all Maya and highend3d.com has 3dstudio max and Maya resources.

I think it's used in a lot of movies. I know they used it to do the awesome special effects in Terminator 2: Judgement Day 14 years ago. I think they also used it do a lot of the special effects in Once Upon A Time in Mexico too.
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

i was just watchin the LOTR special features and it looks like gollum was done in maya.
i only have the learning edition though.
The Illuminated | The Matrix Revalations
-Production | Pre-production
Job

Post by Job »

Almondo99 wrote:www.learningmaya.com and www.highend3d.com have some good tutorials.

let me guess, downloaded illegal? :P
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

are you sure you want to do CG? it is very expensive and even then it does not look that good. you need a team of animators for textures moments and the initial design.
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!